Using another accounts upgrade...what's the danger?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nerdyone, Jun 10, 2009.

1. nerdyone macrumors newbie

My step-father hardly ever uses his phone and has let me use his upgrade to get the new 16GB Iphone, which I preorderd from Apple. I have spoken with SEVERAL CSR from AT&T and all but one of them has told me to just activate the Iphone on my line and call in and explain (I'm a user on my parent's account as they can't stand dealing with the phone company)

Is there any danger in this? All but one of the CSRs have told me to do it this way and all of them told me that it won't be a problem....

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I just spoke to AT&T like 20 minutes ago on the phone, I am using my sisters upgrade to get the 3G S, but Im keeping the new phone and giving her my current 3G phone. ATT said that is fine, but once we switch we have to call them or go into an ATT store to have the IMEI numbers switched to our names.

I will stay on my current contract and my sister will be on the new contract.

3. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

This was being addressed in a thread a few minutes ago that I can no longer find! It was called "the official line switching SIM thread" or something. Mods, where is it?

I know you can switch the SIM's, my only question is: what order do we activate the phone and swap SIMS? Do I have to activate it with the number I bought it through to begin with or can I just immediately put my SIM in, sync it, activate it on MY number (where i wasn't eligible) and just go on with my life. Do I have to call ATT to switch IMEI's or will ATT's OLAM show them switched automatically?

4. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

I"m interested in the same question/answer:

When I receive my order and activate, does it have to be activated with the sim of the line I extended the contract on, or can I just put my sim (in mid contract) and use it?