Using another line's upgrade on your number: READ BEFORE MAKING NEW THREAD

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bumzo1, Jun 20, 2010.

1. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

I have seen at least 3-4 threads asking the same question so I thought I would make this one to try and consolidate all of them. I asked the manager from my AT&T store and he confirmed that it IS possible to use someone else's upgrade and put it on your number. The best way to do this is to go to an AT&T store instead of an Apple store as Apple cannot switch the numbers around. If you get your iPhone from Apple, you can take it to an AT&T store to get the numbers switch but they will charge you a $18 activation fee.

Hope this clears everything up

Please keep this near the top to avoid similar threads from being created

2. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

3. nfl46 macrumors 603

Ugh. I'm using the early upgrade on my other line for my upgrade. I'm getting my reserved iPhone from the Apple Store. So, I won't be able to activate and use my iPhone at all?

4. bumzo1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

you'll be able to on that other number but you won't be able to use it on the number you want unless you go to an AT&T store and have them switch it over.

5. Tech-Minded macrumors regular

So I won't have to pay for a new Micro SD, I'll just have to pay the $18 activation fee?

6. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

You don't have to go to an AT&T store, this can be done over the phone.. It's called an upgrade swap...

7. Tech-Minded macrumors regular

I know, but I heard that you had to switch Sims to do so, and since they are different sizes that you had to pay for a new one.

8. christyn macrumors 6502a

This can also been done over the phone. And you don't need a new SIM fyi

9. bumzo1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

10. Titan12 macrumors regular

Ok, so I have a question. I am using my wife's standard upgrade to get a 32gb, and using my early upgrade to get a 16gb. We plan on swapping so that I have the 32gb phone, and she will use the 16gb (she's only used 8gb on her 3GS, so she doesn't care). How would I go about swapping these out. Can I just activate them both as they come and then swap sims since they are both micro sims?? The only catch to this story is the fact that the 32gb is coming via Apple pre-order to my door for me to activate, while the 16gb will arrive at Best Buy and will probably be activated by them unless I can convince them not to (couldn't get a second order to go through online). Any help would be appreciated.

11. nfl46 macrumors 603

Okay, so its called upgrade swap and it can be done over the phone. GREAT. Because there's NO WAY I wanted to go get my reserved iPhone from an Apple Store then head to a overly busy AT&T store for this. Well, I'm sure there is a AT&T kiosk in the mall that won't be busy.

12. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

You can just order the iPhone off of apple's site using the # that has the upgrade, then call at&t when it comes.

13. aristobrat macrumors G5

Don't forget that most kiosks in mall that sell AT&T are independently owned authorized resellers.

If you need a new micro-SIM in order to get the swap done, the resellers may charge. At least the ones in the mall with the Apple Store in my area do.

14. nfl46 macrumors 603

How much do they cost? I only have the old sim card.