Using another upgrade (Sim Cards...)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LePigeonBleu, Jun 22, 2009.

1. LePigeonBleu macrumors 6502

Hey!

I know this had been covered several times, but I'm not exactly how to work this.

I currently have a family plan, with 3 numbers on it. My line was not eligible for an upgrade, so I paid the early upgrade price. Now, I am realizing I'm a dumbass and should have used an upgrade on another line.

If I exchange the 3GS I have for one on a different line, my sim card will be no more- as they would have to take the phone and sim card back. How would I get a sim card to put in the new 3GS with my number on it? (Because I would be upgrading using another phone number on the account)

Also, I purchased online from Apple, and would like to go to AT&T if possible. Does anyone know if I can do that?

Lastly, would AT&T allow me to upgrade on the other line, and swap out the sim card I currently have with the new 3GS?

sorry for my stupidity...

m

2. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Yes, I used my moms upgrade for my 3gs and she will use mine in december. We are on a family plan. The apple store even did this for us and swapped sims and were very cool about it.

3. LePigeonBleu thread starter macrumors 6502

Also, would the line that I'd be upgrading on NEED the $30 data plan?

4. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

For the iphone i believe it is required. My mother and I both had iphone 3gs so that wasent a problem. But im pretty sure its a required.

5. LePigeonBleu thread starter macrumors 6502

so even though the line i'm upgrading on doesn't need a data plan because it's not an iPhone, I still have to pay for it?

m

simply put, if I use my mom's upgrade (she has no iPhone, just a regular phone), i have to pay for data on her line in addition to my line?

m

6. lisheran macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

The data plan only goes on the line with the iPhone you don't have to add it just to use the upgrade. I used my dads upgrade and just popped my old sim in the new phone. Nothing on his line changed except his upgrade eligibility.

7. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Yes, but you can also always call At&t that day and say that your mom switched back to her normal phone and gave it to you and you would like to remove the data plan. They will have to comply because when they ping the phone they will see she really is using her old one.

8. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

But since the iphone upgrade is on HIS phone number he very will get charged regardless u switching the sims. this can ofc be removed but still.

9. LePigeonBleu thread starter macrumors 6502

alright. now the question is:

I purchased the 3GS at Apple. Can I do the exchange/upgrade all at an AT&T store, or do I have to go to Apple to return the 3GS, and then go to AT&T for the upgrade?

m

10. lisheran macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

You have to return the phone where you first got it.

11. LePigeonBleu thread starter macrumors 6502

if i pre-ordered it online from apple, can i take it to an apple store for the exchange?

if so, can I just have them take out the sim from my current 3GS and have it replaced with the new 3GS?

m

12. LePigeonBleu thread starter macrumors 6502

well, this-morning, I spoke with AT&T.

they told me that I can exchange it at AT&T no problem, and that I would be able to use another line upgrade for the cheaper price.

anyone had luck with doing this? please give details to help me.

m