Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ross.32

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2007
Right now I have all of my pictures stored in Aperture, but I really like many of the new features in iPhoto. I want to have my library set up where everything is stored in Aperture, but I can still view it in iPhoto so I can use Events, Faces, and Places. Basically, I want to use Aperture to edit my photos, but use iPhoto to view them.

I turned on full sized previews in Aperture, then drug my entire Aperture library into iPhoto using the "show Aperture library." The only thing that I am worried about it having to import pictures into both applications. Am I going to have to reimport the previews into my iPhoto library every time I add them to my Aperture library, or is there a way to make sure that happens automatically?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Ross

tjmckay

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2008
re: Using Aperture 2 and iPhoto 09

G'day !!

I'm thinking about doing the same, I'm running some tests at the moment from ideas from:

http://www.oreillynet.com/digitalmedia/blog/2007/08/referenced_aperture_previews_i.html

Just make sure that you don't modify images in iphoto, just view them. Also you won't see the image adjustments (done in aperture) on the iphoto thumbnail, you'll have to double-click to see the image.

This works now, not sure how iphoto '09 will change things.

Cheers

Troy

ross.32

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2007
Thanks that way works really well. I especially like that edited photos will stay updated in iPhoto. Like you said, hopefully it will continue to work in iPhoto 09. I cannot wait for it to come out!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.