Using Aperture Remotely

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by rouxeny, May 17, 2009.

1. rouxeny macrumors 6502

I have a Mac Pro at home which I use for essentially all of my photo work. I run Aperture. If I get a MacBook, is there some way I can access that Aperture library when I'm on the road?

I imagine that if my library were on a drive attached to an AirPort, that it might work?

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. iGary Guest

iGary

You already can with back to my Mac or your iDisk (looks like you have Mobile Me).

3. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

How about using Apple Remote Desktop to control the Mac Pro remotely from the Mac Book? It is what I do to access my work computer from home/mobile or my home computer from work.

Photographer Vincent Laforet has been doing this exact same thing for years:
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/1569
    (Scroll down to 2.)

Vincent's advice is some you should always pay attention to.
    http://www.apple.com/pro/profiles/laforet/

4. rouxeny thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies.

I think I may be a bit limited because my current MacBook Pro is running off a Power PC chip and so the Back To My Mac option is out.

I will look into remote desktop, not sure if that is possible.

Or it might be time for a new computer.....

5. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

6. Mantat macrumors 6502a

Apple really dropped the ball regarding pro support for Aperture. They should have released Aperture server last year, I hope they do it with the next revision. Else there is no way for multiple photographer to work on the same library at the same time.

Actually, as much as I like Aperture, sometimes I wonder if anyone at Apple is actually using it. There are so many little annoying glitches in it (ex: the meta tag panel does not put the cursor in the filter field) that I cant believe that no one has noticed it yet...

I dont know if it would help you but you could always use PHPaperture to consult your pictures from the net...