Using Apple AirPort Express Upstairs?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AppleGirl1989, Oct 16, 2012.

1. AppleGirl1989 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I need some help with this item from apple. I use a wireless network and I'm using a Belkin wireless router but this router doesn't have a strong connection in my bedroom but my wireless connects fine in my parents and I'm wondering can the Apple AirPort express be used in my room while my main wireless router is downstairs?

I attempted to set it up today, it connected to my main router by making it join my current network but as soon as I unplugged it, took it to my room, it went amber and didn't connect.

Any help or have I got the wrong end of the stick and using it wrong.

2. canuckle macrumors regular

AG, I read somewhere that you can only extend your network if you're using one of apples routers. That's second hand info though, best of luck

3. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

I think that is correct. Or at least easy to do. I tried it with my non apple router years ago and gave up. Switched the Linksys router to Apple and the express set up fine.

So I have the express on the 2nd floor and the main on the first.

Might try google search or a Genius Bar question.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You are trying to use the WDS protocol to extend the network. As long as both devices support WDS it should work. That said, WDS between devices of different brands always seem to be wonky. You will likely have better luck with the same brand on both ends.

For starters look up the tech specs on the Belkin to see if it supports WDS.