Using Apple for my Business A Level coursework

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Alistair1990, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Alistair1990 macrumors member

Alistair1990

Hi sorry Im not sure where to post this so move it if you need to..

I'm soon to start my A level business coursework where I have to create my own company. I came up with the idea of an Apple Store in my local area (Huddersfield, West Yorkshire) as the nearest official store is over an hour away. It would obviously not be directly connected with Apple therefore cannot be branded as an 'Apple Store'. Does anyone know how I could find information about trade prices offered by Apple (like how much PC World ect are charged for products) as I have to design a cash flow forecast with real figures where possible.

Thanks for reading and any other advice would be much appreciate.

Alistair.

2. Igantius macrumors 65816

I would say your best bet is to get friendly with an Apple authorised reseller and try to get the info that way.

When I was working on a Mac magazine a few years back, generally most resellers told me that the profit margins on the machies was very low and the way they made money was by offering premium services (e.g. training). I did hear that one reason PC World was resistant to stock Macs was because Apple wouldn't discount their products in order to give PC World the 66% mark-up that it insisted upon; PCW started to have Mac zones about 6-7 years ago, not sure what was the change in heart was due to but it wouldn't be Apple giving in.

You could try contacting Apple PR, but I doubt you would get any joy.

3. Alistair1990 thread starter macrumors member

Alistair1990

Thanks very much for the quick reply - I had a feeling that the profit margin would be low on the products themselves. I am planning on adding services such as repairs, upgrades, training for newly converted users and possibly home network instalation (although its that easy with a Mac I doubt that would be popular). I'm currently just looking at property in the local area so don't need to worry just yet about product prices etc.
    Thanks,

EDIT: If anyone knows where I can buy (in the UK) some desks/tables thats are similar to those used in Apple stores plus any other similar interior products you can think of that would be great, thanks again.

Alistair.

4. Alistair1990 thread starter macrumors member

Alistair1990

Hi sorry me again, just one last question.

I'm wanting to provide services in my business such as 'Switch to Mac' lessons where I provide hour long lessons to new switchers on how to set up and use OS X. My question is how much should I charge hourly for this service? If I could have some feedback on this then that would be great, thanks in advance,
    Alistair.

5. Adamo macrumors 6502

Think of differing plans, one selling base systems, no aftercare, just the basic 12 month warranty, but alongside that a premium service, say 10% extra, that includes training on Macs, phone-support (which in reality would hardly ever be used, it just sounds good..), e-mail support (just like phone-support really), free software (which would be freeware anyway), basically lots of stuff that doesn't cost much but you can charge for.

Accessories such as keyboards and mice sold to go with the laptops too, white and black ones, sourced very cheaply, sold at £10 a pop for example.

The Fruit Store, perhaps? ;)

6. Igantius macrumors 65816

Again, I would say have a word with a local (friendly) reseller -I'm sure as that it's for coursework, it's something they'll probably be only too happy to oblige with.

One thing I would suggest though is that you could use such lessons as a way of hooking new customers - certainly, you would want a price that isn't going to scare off someone. Or you could use it as part of a special offer when buying a new Mac, which might give you a little difference to your competitors.

7. HSCmatt macrumors newbie

Considering the actual Apple store offers these for free, maybe you should do the same? If you're offering free Mac lessons potential buyers could come in and check out the Mac (have some sample units they could use during the lesson) and that first gets them into the store and also makes their transition easier. (and boosts their opinion of your customer service, resulting in better word of mouth.