Using Apple keyboard's mouse port to connect keyboard to Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by giz, Aug 26, 2011.

1. giz macrumors newbie

Hi guys.Just today I accidentally broke the USB port to connect the old Apple keyboard to my Mac Mini.So I was wondering if it's possible to connect separate USB to USB cable to the back of the keyboard (the port to connect your mouse) and then to my Mac mini to use the keyboard?Would it work or is it time to upgrade to wireless keyboard?Would be very thankful if anyone could provide the answer.(unfortunately don't have a separate USB to USB cable to test this myself.)

giz

2. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

3. Elijahg macrumors regular

That may work, as the keyboard has a hub built-in with everything connected to it, but I doubt it. You could always splice together another USB cable's plug with the cable coming from your keyboard. Just make sure you get the 4 wires the right way about.

4. giz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much Elijah as well as itickings for suggestions, though after the first comment I wanted to try it even more.Would be very glad if anyone actually had a chance of trying this at home, as it's 9pm here and it would be wortless to try to buy anything tonight. :apple:

5. Elijahg macrumors regular

No problem :p You could try connecting the USB hub in the keyboard (i.e. the mouse USB port) to a second hub if you had one spare, would be better to blow up a hub than your Mac mini. If you do try, make sure the wires in the broken plug aren't shorting.

6. giz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Elijahg once more, did the splicing and works like a charm, didn't think of that before so thanks for that.Several bucks/pounds/euros/apple currencies saved right there.

7. Elijahg macrumors regular

8. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Gosh, I sure hope nobody tells you not to jump off a cliff if that is how you react to advice. :rolleyes:

Just take a look at this before doing something crazy. Or maybe I should say "Whatever you do, don't look at that link!"...