Using Apple Logo in creating my own app

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Fluttershy, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Fluttershy macrumors regular

Fluttershy

Does anyone know the legality of using Apples logo within my own app?

2. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

I'm not sure, but I would be very surprised indeed if you were allowed to use the apple logo within an app without direct permission. If I would you, I would contact them and ask for any permission and requirements for such a request. Chances are though that they will reject the request.

As I said, I'm not sure, but contact them anyway.

----------

Just found this

2. Compatibility: Developers may use Apple, Macintosh, iMac, or any other Apple word mark (but not the Apple Logo or other Apple-owned graphic symbol/logo) in a referential phrase on packaging or promotional/advertising materials to describe that the third party product is compatible with the referenced Apple product or technology, provided they comply with the following requirements.

a. The Apple word mark is not part of the product name.

b. The Apple word mark is used in a referential phrase such as “runs on,” “for use with,” “for,” or “compatible with.”

c. The Apple word mark appears less prominent than the product name.

d. The product is in fact compatible with, or otherwise works with, the referenced Apple product.

e. The reference to Apple does not create a sense of endorsement, sponsorship, or false association with Apple or Apple products or services.

f. The use does not show Apple or its products in a false or derogatory light.

Heres a link to apples information: http://www.apple.com/legal/trademark/guidelinesfor3rdparties.html

Hope this helps.

3. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

before typing them the question, ask yourself, do I really want their logo in my app?

----------

cheers for that - interesting read!

4. pdjudd macrumors 601

If you have any doubt whatsoever, make sure you contact the trademark owner first - especially when that owner is Apple - they are very protective of their marks. But if it isn't necessary to use it, don't use it. You just might save yourself a lot of hassle and Apple is probably going to deny any such formal request anyhow.

5. Fluttershy thread starter macrumors regular

Fluttershy

Thanks for that - the app i wanted to design, was an easier way to create the iCloud NameTag wallpaper that people seem to like. oh well/.

6. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

What you could do is have an app that adds your name to multiple different wallpapers. You can have the walpapers load from an external server and just update them to add the iCloud wallpaper after the app has been approved. It's a bit iffy, but I don't think you'll run into any trouble.

7. hobbbz macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

The apple logo is a symbol (type it using opt shift k) You could use a blank textfield for where the logo usually goes and let the user type or copy their own symbol in there. Then provide a glyph board of characters some might like a smiley or a music note, etc.