Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kyle76

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 22, 2017
North Carolina
i love using Apple Pay on my phone, but I haven't used it yet on my watch because I don't want a watch password. Is there a eay around this password thing for Apple Pay, and if not, what's the simplest way to temporarily enable a password and then disable it when I'm done paying?

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
I can't answer your question since Apple Pay is not available here. But why no watch passcode? I never notice it since unlocking my phone will also unlock my watch.

Reactions: BarracksSi

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales

archvile

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
Imagine if the Watch let you do this without a passcode. Then your watch was either swiped off your arm or it fell off somewhere and you lost it. Hypothetical. Then someone could take your watch and make Apple Pay purchases while it is connected to Wi-Fi, without any authentication. Or, someone could access all of the data on it, your emails, texts, phone calls, contacts, health data, Medical ID, etc...all because you were too lazy to put a passcode on it (thus causing the data to be encrypted and protected by your passcode).

Don't be lazy. Stupid negligence like this is how identify theft happens. You don't seem to understand the security implications of trying to use a device marketed as the "most personal device ever" without any kind of security protection.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I don't think you can use it without a Watch password. It's there for security and I only have to put it in first thing in the morning when I put the watch on so it's not an inconvenience. I doubt you'd want somebody stealing your phone and watch and spending your cash.

graley

macrumors regular
May 25, 2010
Australia
Here in Australia i use figerprint on the home button that allows access to my bank accounts.
So I pay using Apple pay on AW just by pressing wallet app on AW.
And then double pressing the power button.
And then putting AW near the reader, even when the iphone is 20 metres away. It works.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
There's a bit of miss information in this thread so I'll clear it up.

You do NOT need your iPhone, Bluetooth or a wifi connection for Apple Pay to work on your Apple Watch.

Once the card is added it's just like a contactless card. It's as simple as that.

I recently lost my iPhone. Didn't replace it as the 7plus was rare as rocking horse ****. The whole time I waited to get the phone my watch and Apple Pay functioned normally.

Reactions: sgchick

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
So I pay using Apple pay on AW just by pressing wallet app on AW.
And then double pressing the power button.

You literally don't need to do the bit i bolded. Double press the power button anytime.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.