Using Apple Remote as a mouse (Which app?)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Tigerman82, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Tigerman82 macrumors regular

I've connected my iMac to my TV via HDMI and tend to watch a lot of programs from the comfort of my sofa. I don't have a coffee table and using my Logitech mouse against the surface of the sofa is a pain. Recently I discovered Remote Buddy, an app which allowed to use my aluminum Apple Remote as a mouse (moving the cursor with the arrow keys, right and left mouse click). While I love this app, it just costs too much for its intended purpose.

Could anyone tell me if there are other apps with the ability to turn "Apple Remote" as a mouse? If the app is paid, I'd prefer it if the price is 8 dollars or less.

I am aware that many use their cell phones (I have Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini) or tablets (I have a 4th gen iPad) as remote controllers/mice, but I much prefer the Apple Remote because of its small size and the fact that I don't feel bad about handling it with greasy fingers.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

https://www.iospirit.com/products/remotebuddy/

or

install XBMC on the mac, once you get your media into it, you should be able to use the apple remote to browse the menus.
    (it's free, but may take some tinkering to get it working 100%)

3. Tigerman82 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your suggestions. However, as I already said, Remote Buddy is just too expensive for this one little job I require. I mainly watch programs via my browser so I would need the cursor to move on my desktop and on the browser window. So again, any other apps besides Remote Buddy which have the ability to make the cursor move using Apple Remote.

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

also forgot to mention Plex, it's like xbmc

plex has plug-ins to get content from a lot of video services on the web, as does XBMC.
    check to see if you can get the content you want.