Using Apple Remote Desktop 3 Remotely?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ardesigns, Apr 15, 2008.

1. ardesigns macrumors member

Hi. I just purchased Apple Remote Desktop 3. I now want to use the software "remotely," meaning, out of my network, on both Leopard and Tiger computers that are in my home network. So far, I have only gotten ARD3 to work through my Home network while inside of it. ARD3 and Remote Management/Screen Sharing are enabled on the Tiger and Leopard computers respectively. Now, how to do I connect to them when outside of my home network? Do I need their IP Addresses? What if they're dynamic?

Thanks,
    ARDesigns

2. ardesigns thread starter macrumors member

Anyone? Someone's got to know how to use this software!

Thanks,
    ARDesigns

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

You would either need to open the ports (3283, I think) or have some sort of VPN set up.

4. ardesigns thread starter macrumors member

How do I open the ports and which computers do I do that on? Also, how will I direct ARD3 to the correct computer? An IP address?

Thanks,
    ARDesigns

5. ardesigns thread starter macrumors member

Which ports and how do I use them :confused::confused:?!

Thanks!

~ARDesigns

6. gdphishman817 macrumors newbie

You need to portfoward on your router to the specfic ip on your network. Meaning if you are outside you're network you can only connect to one of them. At my house I have my lynksys router portforwared to 5900 to 5909. Then you'll need the ip address that comes from your ISP. I go to www.whatismyip.com. You may need to run a VNC server. I used to run vine server, a good free app. But for some reason. Leopards built in vnc server started working one day so I no longer use vine server.

7. ardesigns thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply! I have 3 questions though :D:
    How do you "portforward" the router?
    What doest that do?
    And how do I connect to it once I've done that?

Thanks!

~ARDesigns

8. gdphishman817 macrumors newbie

if you google it, you can find it. It depends on your router. If you have a linksys. It is in under Applications & Gaming. I have it circled below. At the end of the line you specify the local ip address of the computer you want to view. Be warned, if you set up portforwarding to a specfic ip. and the router changes it, you have to go and adjust the router each time. For me, I assigned my computer an ip number outside of the range that my lynksys assigns. This way my local ip for my G5 always stays the same. Before I kept having to go in every time my router was reset and adjust my portforwarding. Had to do some googling to find out how to do that.

[​IMG]

9. terriyaki macrumors 6502a