using apple remote desktop to connect to windows...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by afbuckeye, May 23, 2007.

1. afbuckeye macrumors member

So, I have been trying to figure this out for quite some time now and can't get it working.

Here is my situation.

For my first test, I'm trying to connect from my mac to a pc on my network that is set up in the apartment.

The router we are using is a D-Link DIR-625.

I'm trying to use Apple Remote Desktop to connect to one of the roommates pc's running windows xp home. You can use ARD to connect to a windows machine right?

I've tried using a VNC server on the pc and don't think I am setting it up right. I have also tried to figure out the port forwarding if you have to use that since its connected through a router. I'm not sure how this all works. The firewalls on the pc were also turned off.

If someone knows how to do this and would help me out step by step, i would greatly appreciate it.

The next task after that would be to connect to my parents' computer also running xp home. I'm guessing this would be the same procedure though?

All help is appreciated.

2. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

The first thing is it has to be Windows XP Pro to use Remote Desktop. Home only allows you to send remote help requests. The XP firewall needs to have the remote desktop port open. If you are inside on the same lan you should now have to open any ports in the router, but if you want to use it from outside you will have to have port forwarding on the tcp 3389 to the windows computer's ip address. Make sure remote desktop is enabled on the pc in system settings.

- James

3. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

ARD is NOT RDC

Windows uses RDC
    Apple uses ARD

Download the Remote Desktop Client from microsoft.com to connect to a windows machine

4. afbuckeye thread starter macrumors member

I was under the impession that becasue it is windows xp HOME you could use a VNC to access it with ARD. I know that pro is the only one that works with Remote Desktop Connection.

5. Roba macrumors 6502

I don't know if you mean that you want to use Windows Remote desktop on your Mac?
    If so i have done this and it is pretty straight forward.
    Here are the instructions on how to do it. You need to download the software and then follow the step by step instructions.
    http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherproducts/otherproducts.aspx?pid=Article_RDC
    When you log on though in Windows it will log out in XP on the other computer so that computer cannot really be used by another person while you are using it.

6. afbuckeye thread starter macrumors member

I am trying to connect TO a windows XP machine FROM my mac using Apple remote desktop 3.

I'm pretty sure it can be done because i have read a few articles on it, but i can't seem to make it work. That is why, I'm trying to find a step by step explanation of how to do it.

Thanks for the replys so far.. but not quite there yet.

7. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Yes, Apple RDC and VNC use the same protocols so you should be able to connect to the Windows PC.

But first, make sure you can actually connect to the PC from the Mac. Assuming you can actually see the PC on the network, try to manually connect to the VNC server. Open Terminal and type
    Code:
    telnet <ip address of PC> <vnc port>
    The VNC port is the display number + 5900, so if you set up vnc server on display 1, it would be 5901.

You should get a response something like:
    Code:
    Trying ::1...
    Connected to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    RFB 003.008
    The actual value of RFB may be different.

If you don't get any response, but the PC is visible. the problem is in the server set up.

By the way, that's about as far as I can go. I've never actually used Apple RDC so I can't really help you further. I connect to various Linux, PCs and Macs from my Mac using the "Chicken of the VNC" client.

Edit: In fact try CotV if everything else seems ok. That way you can confirm whether it's an Apple RDC problem.

8. afbuckeye thread starter macrumors member

thanks, i'll try this stuff when i get home...