using apple remote desktop with routered computers and generic ips... HOW???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zipper1022, Sep 22, 2007.

1. zipper1022 macrumors regular

hey so i recently got turned on to ARD, and i set it up and everything at my house, where i have two computers now running off the same router, with IP like 192.168.1. etc, so that works here at my house... but when i go to college, back up to boston tommorow, i wont be able to access my home computer from my laptop because of that dumb IP... correct? I know its because of my router, a lynksys. is it possible for me to get a real IP adress out of my router so i can actually access my iMac from my laptop in boston?? How do other people do it?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

it's a 2 stage process.

First you have to connect from the outside world to the router (this requires knowing your external IP address assigned to you by your ISP), then you need your router to forward the connect request to the appropriate computer (this is done by using something called port forwarding in your router)

Stage 2 is easy: Find out what ports ARD uses then setup your router to forward those port to your machine behind the router.

Stage 1 is harder. The IP that your ISP assigns you is dynamic, meaning it changes occasionally, so you cannot just find the number and use that all the time. The best thing to do is sign up a dyndns.com. What this site does is alows you to assign a name to your dynamic ip (for example zipper.home.ip) that you would use instead of your IP address. Linksys routers have an option to add this to the setup so if your IP address changes, it'll tell dyndns.org and the same name you chose will always be valid.

3. live4ever macrumors 6502a

Use a service like DynDNS if you have a dynamic IP, you would also need port 3283 open for ARD on the router too.

4. zipper1022 thread starter macrumors regular

im just a little bit confused...

ive been into and out of the linksys setup menu and i still dont really know what to do, i would really appreciate someone stepping me thorugh this quickly

5. nickd06 macrumors member

I am having a similar issue, although I am using an airport extreme.

I am at school right now and I could not connect to my desktop at home.

Here is what I have tried:

My external IP is xx.xx.xxx.xx
    I went to sharing setting in preferences on my desktop and checked (selected the box to allow ARD to pass the firewall) the ARD under the firewall tab. I also have ARD selected in the main area.

I have had no problem connecting and controlling my desktop from home, but I can't seem to connect to it at school.

When I launch ARD I go to the scanner tab and then enter my external IP address...It seems to find something (although the name is not the same when im on the local network) but it fails to connect to it.

The name ARD find at my IP address is: c-XX-XX-XXX-XX.hsd1.nm.comcast.net (where the X's represent my IP address)

I thought i had set it all up correctly, but obviously there is something I am missing. If anyone could give me some adivce I would really appreciate it!

6. stefanski macrumors member

stefanski

>I went to sharing setting in preferences on my desktop and checked
    >(selected the box to allow ARD to pass the firewall) the ARD under the
    >firewall tab. I also have ARD selected in the main area.

All good

>... but I can't seem to connect to it at school.

There are many reasons why this doesn't work.

>The name ARD find at my IP address is:
    >XX-XX-XXX-XX.hsd1.nm.comcast.net

That's ok. Your IP will show that way.

> I thought i had set it all up correctly

You have. The problem is at your school. They block the ports you need to communicate via ARD to your MAC back home. As soon as you hit connect, it tries to use these ports and it fails.

To find out the ports used for ARD check the apple website.It's currently down for maintenance but if I remember correctly it's:

Ports 3283 and 5900 need to be open for both UDP and TCP.

You probably won't be able to talk your school into opening up the ports you need.

:(

7. nickd06 macrumors member

damn. No way around this? Another program besides ARD? Anything I can do? thanks for the help!

8. Sovell macrumors newbie

If both of your machines are still using Tiger you can use VPN software HamachiX on both your home computer and school laptop which will generate new ip address to use with the ARD connection. Hamachix does not work with Leopard.

If you are using Leopard, "I think" you can look into SSH tunneling using Jellyfissh 4.5.