Using Apple Remote with web videos like Netflix and Hulu?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jent, Oct 28, 2014.

1. jent macrumors 6502a

jent

I have a Mac mini set up as a makeshift TV, and I use Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, and VLC for all my video needs.

The first three services are obviously streaming sites in a web browser (I use Chrome and Safari) and VLC plays video files on my computer.

VLC is great in that it actually has Apple Remote support, so when VLC is the active application, I can use the remote to play/pause the video and change the volume.

Is there any way to get similar functionality with the video websites I use? Obviously the volume works fine as it's connected to the OS volume, but it would be fantastic to play and pause my Netflix and Hulu videos, for example. Currently the play/pause button corresponds to iTunes when VLC is not the frontmost application. Even if iTunes isn't open, OS X will open it once the play/pause button is hit.

Thanks for any help!

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

3. tennisproha macrumors 6502a

Hate to bump a 2 year old thread but I have this same question and its been unanswered.

Is there anyway to use the Apple Remote with webpage videos on Safari? Without the aid of external programs like Remote Buddy I should add...