iPad Using Apple Smart Cover Does it Make iPad Air heavier ?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by augustya, Nov 7, 2013.

1. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Can anyone report on this, if using a Apple Smart Cover on the to and a protective TPU Back Cover (Like say for e.g Hypershield TPU Back cover I was using it on my iPad-3/4) on the iPad Air, does it ? Will it make the iPad Air heavier ? If yes how much heavy does it become ?

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

My wifi iPad Air weighs in at 480g on my scale, and the smart cover at 100g.

It's slightly noticeable - what I actually notice more is that it's harder to handle the device with the cover on, so I usually take it off when using the iPad. That's the beauty of the magnetic cover.

3. photoj2754 macrumors 6502

photoj2754

I agree. It is a slight weight difference but one thing I've noticed is that the cover will slide a bit from side to side and it's definitely a bit harder to pick up say when it's on the floor or such. Not as much grip when using the leather Smart Cover but I think it also has a lot to do with the thinner form factor. Can't seem to get my fingers under it. No biggie for me just passing on my observations.

4. faster315 macrumors newbie

Yes, covers make it heavier and bulkier. Hard to know if it'll bother you. Me, I take my Smart Cover off while reading at length. That's part of the joy of the convenience.

5. The.Dude macrumors regular

The.Dude

Yes, adding something to an iPad will make it heavier.

Source: 1st grade science.

6. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

No, no. Apple has created a case with negative weight. Adding a Smart Cover actually brings the aggregate weight down to .92 pounds. Some really amazing technology.

7. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Actually, would filling it with, say, helium not have that effect? :p

8. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

The weight is quite negligible. When I'm holding the Air I tend to set the cover aside anyway. Its for when I need to store, stand, or take it around.

9. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Yeah Thanks for reminding me :cool: what I meant was does it make it too heavy or bulky which takes away the joy of owning such a light weight iPad which is less then a Pound !!

----------

Yeah when you take it around, or say when you are holding it closed in your hands, does it bother because of that extra weight added because of the Smart Cover or is it negligible ?

10. The.Dude macrumors regular

The.Dude

I knew there would be one person.... :p

----------

I heard the Samsquanch makes them himself.

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I have the Smart Case, which I imagine weighs more than the Cover, and the extra weight doesn't bother me. For the last two days, I ended up carrying *two* Airs in Smart Cases in my bag (one was my boss's which I was setting up for him), and the bag was still so light it didn't bother me at all.