Using Apple Stuff in the UK

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Michael73, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Michael73 macrumors 65816

Just a quick general question...

My job requires that I take make a visit to a client's office located in England. I have both a MBP and iPhone (see my sig). Is there anything I need to do to make sure I can use both in the UK e.g. plug adaptors, converters, enabling international roaming on the AT&T contract, etc?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You need a plug adapter but not a voltage converter.

3. Pixellated macrumors 65816

All you need is the Apple World Travel adapter kit. It comes with all the little ends to slot on to your MBP and iPhone chargers, and a spare charger. If you plan to use data, I suggest you unlock your phone and upon arrival in the UK buy a Pay As you Go SIM (Prepaid in us speak) with data and it will be much cheaper.

4. Michael73 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks. By data, do you mean anything other than sending and receiving calls e.g. email, using the browser and most of my apps?

Regarding the unlocking, how do go about doing this? And, where do you get a Pay As You Go SIM, Orange?

I'm flying into LHR and most likely arriving on a Sunday morning before driving to Exeter later in the day. I'll want to take care of phone issue not long after I land.

5. Queso macrumors G4

I would forget about the Apple Travel kit and just buy a US to UK plug adapter at the airport. Power chargers for both iPhone and MBP work at 100-240V AC, so your US power supplies will happily work on 230V UK power. You just need something to line the pins up to a UK socket.

6. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

There are 3 Cell Phone (Mobile Phone) companies in the UK that sell the iphone - They are

o2 link - http://www.o2.co.uk/
    Vodafone - Link http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/
    Orange - Link http://shop.orange.co.uk/

Or in independent store like Carphone warehouse that deals with all the major providers including the above.

You should find it relatively easy to get a pay as you go sim that you can buy with an initial amount of credit and then top-up on line using your credit card. You could use your existing ATT SIM providing you have spoken to them and enabled international roaming on your service plan. However using a phone and in particular data can be very expensive. There were a number of horror stories about US citizens using their iPhone abroad when it was initially launched in the USA and receiving $1,000+ bills when they got back home.

Using a UK SIM will be a lot less expensive using the phone in the UK to make UK to UK calls.

an iPhone data plan usually costs £10 ($16) a month as a bolt on, but check with the providers before you travel to how easy this is to apply to a SIM.

Finally to use a UK SIM you will need to get your US iPhone unlocked by ATT in the USA.

7. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

You forgot Tesco

Don't think they do that do they?

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The world travel kit is a big waste of money. US-UK plug adapters can be found in RadioShack for like $4.

9. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Well Tesco does not operate a mobile phone network, it is just a rebadged o2 network service, but you are right he could get a Tesco Sim as well.

As far as ATT unlocking an iPhone I don't know - as you can in the UK, I assumed you can in the USA.

10. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Nope, you can't. AT&T will not unlock your phone for you no matter how many times you ask them. The only way to unlock a US iPhone is to jailbreak it.