Using Apple TV 4g Premium Subscriptions outside US

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by DavidinCR, Dec 18, 2015.

1. DavidinCR macrumors newbie

DavidinCR

I am an American living in Costa Rica. I recently purchased a 4G apple TV from Apple, with the intention of using it to access Subscription based American Cable Content like HBO Go, Netflix, etc. I understand that most of this content is blocked outside the US, which I think is monumental stupid since I am willing to pay for it. What I would like to know is if there is a way to use my new device to buy this content using a VPN or something else.
    Also would like to know how the content is paid for. Can I pay with iTunes gift card credit, or do I need to get a US Based Credit Card or Apple Store Card?
    Thanks in Advance for your advice.

2. surroundfan macrumors 6502

You need a Smart DNS service like Unotelly, Unblock-US or Getflix.

(https://stacksocial.com/sales/getflix-lifetime is a reasonable deal. It's been 'expiring soon' for months so no need to panic)

...and either a cable login (e.g. through a friend) or a willingness to pay for subs (e.g. Showtime or HBO). Some subs can be purchased through Apple but some are purchased directly and may need a US card.

The good thing is that a Smart DNS doesn't just get you US content; it also gets you UK, CA and AU content, and the ATV4 supports them all...

3. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

You can use DNS service to fool ATV to think you're still in the US, and yes, you can pay with iTunes gift card. You can have your friend in the states buy them and email you the code or there're plenty of iTunes GC sellers on the net. You can even subscribe to services like Netflix or HBO NOW, for example, directly through iTunes.

4. DavidinCR thread starter macrumors newbie

DavidinCR

Thank you so much. How do I configure it on the ATV and can I use it with my Mac too?

5. DavidinCR thread starter macrumors newbie

DavidinCR

Thank you. I can buy the subscription services with iTunes Gift Cards. I did not know that. Than you very much.

6. winstars macrumors member

Using Getflix Smart DNS to get and then watch iPlayer in US, I set up UK iTunes account, checked "none" as payment method. Working great, no need anymore to Tunnlebear from MBPro directly to TV input, Yeah!!!

One question, if I want to purchase apps on my UK iTunes account, can I use US iTunes gift cards or do I need to use UK iTunes gift cards??? Because I need to use iTunes gift cards because a credit card with a US address is not going to work, is that correct???

Thanks

7. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

You'll need iTunes gift card unfortunately.

8. winstars macrumors member

Thats a UK iTunes gift card, correct???

9. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Yes. UK GC for UK store.

10. winstars, Dec 21, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2015

winstars macrumors member

Great, I ordered two 25 quid UK gift cards from Ebay earlier... Just in case I wanna buy something...

One last question, I see in the AVS forums that the Aussies are now adding their own TV apps. Would a person need to open a Australian iTunes account to get to these apps and then if one of the Aussie apps required a payment, would a person need an Aussie iTunes gift card to add to their Aussie iTunes account to purchase that app etc...????

11. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

That depends. App can be global. The rule is wherever you purchase said app you need GC for that specific store. If you fail to buy it on US or UK then you'll need Aussies iTunes account and GC.

12. winstars macrumors member

Thanks, I set up a Aussie iTunes account to get a few of the Aussie TV apps, which seem to be free. I do see Australian iTunes gift cards on Ebay but I think I will wait to see if anything is worth buying before getting any.

Getflix as a DNS is working great, I just changed the numbers on the ATV4, not on my Airport Extreme, yet...

How many more iTunes stores in various countries will I need to join before I get bored... Anything in the German iTunes store I need? or the Albanian store? LOL

Thanks for the help