Using Apple TV and NAS Drive to Feed Audio Input to a 2 Channel Receiver

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by dcweber, Sep 12, 2014.

1. dcweber macrumors newbie

Looking for informed opinions on whether or not this scenario will work.

NAS Drive - contains all my .mp3 files (either Seagate or WD)
    Apple TV setup to "see" the NAS drive
    User Interface: an iPad using AirPlay to select .mp3 files on the NAS Drive

Apple TV details: the Optical Audio output --> a DAC (optical in, 2 CH RCA out --> RCA input on conventional Stereo Receiver

1) Will this work?
    2) Does the NAS drive have to be AirPlay capable?

Much Appreciated

2. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

If you are referring to running home sharing, I am not aware of any NAS that can communicate directly with the Atv in a way similar to iTunes on a computer.

To do what you want, you really just need a NAS that has an app that will allow you to steam to an iOS device and you can then use Airplay on the iOS device to play music on the Appletv.

The plus side of a NAS that has Airplay built in is that you don't need to stream from the NAS to iOS and then to the Atv. You simply control the NAS and it Airplays directly to the Appletv.

3. dcweber, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2014

dcweber thread starter macrumors newbie

Gracias U of M

In the case of a NAS with airplay, which can stream directly to the ATV and bypass the iOS device, what is the controlling device with the user interface for selecting songs, playlists, etc?

----------

Would it make more sense to buy an Airport Express rather than ATV to accomplish what I want?

I'm looking for a solution which does not require a PC with iTunes to be in the chain or even be turned on.
    I prefer to use an ipad.

And lastly, the NAS stream to ATV will be audio files only. No video files.

4. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

I have a Synology 413j and use their DS Audio app on the iPhone/iPad. It actually has some useful features like being able to play two songs simultaneously and Airplay them to separate rooms ( you can't do this with iTunes).

I wrote a bit about it here with some pics to help people see how it works.

The only difference between Airport Express and Appletv for music is that the Appletv converts everything to 48khz and the Airport Express uses 44.1. The upside to the Appletv is that it does a lot more than audio.