Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
Hi Im planning to use apple tv with a vpn and high speed fibre to start watching netflix and hulu. Since I havent started doing this yet, I wonder if its possible to get regular news channels like cnn, bbd, al jazeera, cnbc etc via the apple tv setup?

Thanks

Stewart21

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2011
South Yorkshire
Hi Im planning to use apple tv with a vpn and high speed fibre to start watching netflix and hulu. Since I havent started doing this yet, I wonder if its possible to get regular news channels like cnn, bbd, al jazeera, cnbc etc via the apple tv setup?

Thanks

Which country are you in? Because content varies country to country.

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
Im in singapore....I understand that the offerings can vary....but what Im after is knowing the source of these news channels...can they be served up direct from the apple tv menu.

As I will be on a vpn, with a US Ip address, it is practically the same as being in the usa.

Stewart21

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2011
South Yorkshire
Im in singapore....I understand that the offerings can vary....but what Im after is knowing the source of these news channels...can they be served up direct from the apple tv menu.

As I will be on a vpn, with a US Ip address, it is practically the same as being in the usa.

I think it's just Sky News and the Wall Street Journal that are channels on the Apple TV, If you have an iPhone/iPad/Mac you can airplay content from those devices to your TV via the Apple TV.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I think it's just Sky News and the Wall Street Journal that are channels on the Apple TV.

Am going offend somebody am sure but streaming WSJ and you get these not-so good looking people on it. Having been used to live broadcasts, surprised, they always have good looking anchors. News Streaming feels like people doing blogs, they are not the top talents of the company. Am not saying they are smarter, am saying the "perceived" top talents get the good assignments and given more air time, so the news is easier to digest.

Sky News is sad and am particularly talking about the Tech news. Feels like they get left over scraps.

Another option is Aereo, for less than usd$10(?) a month you get live network broadcasts from some U.S. markets. This would be on your PC however, not ATV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.