Using Apple wireless keyboard with Pages on iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NoIdea!, Nov 27, 2011.

1. NoIdea! macrumors member

I am trying to use the Apple wireless keyboard with Pages on the iPad and I am wondering if anyone is able to provide some assistance with some issues i'm having?

When using the Apple wireless keyboard with Pages, auto capitalisation and auto-correct no longer work as it would if using the inbuilt onscreen virtual keyboard. This is not a major issue, more of an annoyance.

Does anyone know how I can change this? Either changing settings in Pages or maybe using a different word processor which does auto-correct and auto-capitalise using the bluetooth wireless keyboard?

Thanks.

2. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

You can't. It only works with the onscreen keyboard.

Tell Apple you want this feature by following the link posted here on Apples support forums.

3. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

I found the auto capitalisation and auto correct to be an annoyance. To each their own. I turned them off on my iPad about 2 weeks after I bought it. I tried, I really, really tried.

4. NoIdea! thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I'll get on to that now. Seems pretty stupid that they wouldn't incorporate these basic features to work with their own wireless keyboard.

5. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Yeah the Apple Wireless Keyboard sucks with Pages you can't even do the simple things like CMD + B, I, U for Bold, Italics & Underline.

6. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

The Apple Wireless Keyboard is not designed for the iPad. In fact, changes were made to the keyboard's functionality to support the release of the Lion OS that disabled volume and brightness controls on the AWK with the iPad until iOS 5.0 was released. Those who purchased the keyboard during the several months between those two events were (to put it mildly) puzzled by the problems they were having with their new keyboards that no one else experienced.

There may be third party bluetooth keyboards that accomplish what you're looking for. (Some, for example, have dedicated "Home" keys designed to work with the iPad.) I doubt it, however, since the keyboard or the app would have to be fitted with software to understand when "auto-caplitalization" should apply. That functionality, I suspect, goes beyond the standard for a bluetooth connection.