Using AppleCare+ - in store or via phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by illo4325, Apr 6, 2015.

1. illo4325, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2015

illo4325 macrumors newbie

I recently cracked my screen and I want to pay the $79 and get my iPhone 6 replaced (not just new screen) with AppleCare+. I don't have much free time to go to the nearest Apple store, but I could find the time if need be. It would probably be easier for me to call Apple and do an express replacement. From your experience, will I get a better quality replacement iPhone 6 by heading into the Apple store or by using Express Replacement? Or is it just a toss up?

The reason I ask about Express Replacement is that I've seen a few posts (not specifically on MacRumors) here and there mentioning poor quality control on the iPhone replacements people received when using Express Replacement.

Thoughts?

Edit: Just wanted to give an update. I took my phone to the Apple Store yesterday and they replaced the screen, not the entire device. I didn't find and scratches or anything of that sort after they returned it to me. It took about an hour, but I'm happy with the end result.

2. bradbomb macrumors regular

I just recently cracked my screen of my iPhone 6 (in the Best Buy Parking lot going to pick up my Lifeproof Nuud case of all times) and I went to the store trying to just get it replaced under AppleCare+. They would not let me replace is as they can fix the glass there. I had to wait two hours for it to be replaced, or if it fails their diagnostic, then they would replace it. If the phone functions, they apparently have to try and fix the screen first before they will replace it. I'm assuming fixing the glass keeps their costs lower in the long run.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

The last two times I took my iPhone to the store for a repair under AppleCare+, they replaced the broken part in my original phone. I did not get a replacement phone.

Not sure if Express Service gets around that issue.

4. illo4325 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm. Interesting. Thanks for the replies guys.
    I guess I'm concerned about the condition the phone might come back in after they replace the screen. I know when I took my iMac in several years ago, it came back in much worse condition (although to Apples credit, they replaced the scratched up portions after I said something).

5. bradbomb macrumors regular

After my phone repair, it came back just as I left it, except for the screen was fixed. I did not see any new scratches or dents. My only issue was the time it took to do the glass repair and their unwillingness to switch out the phone seeing that I bought AppleCare+ and was paying the $79 deductible.

6. riggsforlunch macrumors newbie

I shattered my 6+ screen about a month ago and went in to my Apple Store (Portland, OR) to get it fixed. They gave me the option to either wait an hour to get the screen replaced or to get an entirely new phone. I picked the new phone because A) I didn't want to wait and B) wanted the new phone because the one I shattered had a scratch right through the gold Apple logo on the back and it was bothering me...

Anyway I thought it was rad they gave me the option and they still just charged me the $79 fee.

7. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

They replaced just my screen when I went in the store. And when I went in to repair my MacBook it came back with a huge dent!

8. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

Maybe you get a little too aggressive cleaning it, and accidentally get some water on it warranting a full device replacement in-store :p

9. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

they might of done that because maybe their supervisor gave them the authority to do it that day. it depends on the store.

but from personal experience (and working there) they always try to fix it first.