Using AppleTv with a NAS running iTunes Server

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Andrew Henry, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

Hey all,

I'm currently trying to decide if I'd like to buy a AppleTv as it seems to fit what I would like it to do, but here's my question(s):

Say I have a NAS running iTunes server, for purposes of this question this is the exact one I was looking at (NAS) and I'd like to use this as my main server for all my computers, as in put my library on the NAS so it can stream to any computer / appletv in the house, now will the iTunes server only allow music to be streamed or will it also work with videos etc.

And if this does work, will I have to add the movies / music in iTunes running on a Mac / PC and then sync it to the NAS or exactly how does that work so that it's added to that library?

If anyone has done anything like any insight would be greatly appreciated, it might sound kind of messed up after I typed it out, but I'm trying to be clear with what I would like it to do.

2. Andrew Henry thread starter macrumors 6502a

And the worst part is, I selected to post it in the AppleTV forum, but I suppose it fits into the iTunes forum also, as that's what it's more about is iTunes server capability / limitations. :(

3. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I have a ReadyNAS NV+ that also runs an iTunes Server.

The issue is that there is no where to enter the authorization code that the Apple TV gives you to enter into iTunes.

You can use your NAS to store the iTunes library, but the Server has to be running on a Mac or a PC so you can authorize the Apple TV to use it.

I'm not aware of any of the NAS servers that allow the Authorization string, but there may be one out there.

Its not a huge issue, but I would like to be able to access the content directly without having to have my Mac running.

Funny thing is my PS3 can see the library just fine.

4. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Has this changed at all since the last post. Is there a nas that allows you to use the code so that the appletv works directly with the nas?

Thanks.

5. NightStorm macrumors 68000

Nope; all of the NAS solutions I've seen use the same codebase (Firefly), which hasn't been updated in awhile.