Using apps with 2 iTunes accounts?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by msmith2112, Aug 20, 2008.

1. msmith2112 macrumors 6502

msmith2112

Here is the scenario that i'm wondering about:

I've downloaded a good bit of apps from the iTunes App Store using an older iTunes account. Some were free, some were not. I have them synced onto my iPhone.

Now, i've got a new iTunes account that I'd like to use on my computer and my iPhone. What will happen when one of the non-free apps are up for an update? Am I going to have to re-sign-in under my old account, since it was the one that I initially purchased the app with?

2. nlivo macrumors 6502a

Yeah, you will. I have apps from three different iTunes accounts on my iPhone and it is bloody messy. Just terribly buggy. iTunes and the iPhone doesn't cope well. It can do it, but I have all sorts of troubles. Especially when it comes to updating them all.

3. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Just for your information,

People have reported problems with applications crashing due to DRM issues when operating two iTunes accounts.

This presumable happens because the iPhone applies the second account's information to the application while you are signed into your first account.
    The application's DRM then becomes confused about who owns the application, and therefore crashes the application, until the right account/DRM information is synced.

R-Fly

4. msmith2112 thread starter macrumors 6502

msmith2112

5. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

If you're talking about a decent amount of money, you might try calling Apple and see if they will re-assign those old apps to your new iTunes account. If it's technically feasible, you could probably talk them into it.

6. GraceWu macrumors newbie