Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac.Girl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
I bought a used iPhone 3GS and an unactivated AT&T sim card that I was planning on using for their pay as you go service. It won't let me activate it with the phone online and I'm not sure how to proceed. I called in and the rep said that the pay as you go service doesn't work with the iPhone. Do I need to buy a used sim card/goPhone and put that in the phone to make it work? Can I buy an already activated sim card from AT&T?
I've seen some stuff online about getting the data plan to work, but right now I'm just worried about getting the basic functionality of the phone.

Thanks!

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I bought a used iPhone 3GS and an unactivated AT&T sim card that I was planning on using for their pay as you go service. It won't let me activate it with the phone online and I'm not sure how to proceed. I called in and the rep said that the pay as you go service doesn't work with the iPhone. Do I need to buy a used sim card/goPhone and put that in the phone to make it work? Can I buy an already activated sim card from AT&T?
I've seen some stuff online about getting the data plan to work, but right now I'm just worried about getting the basic functionality of the phone.

Thanks!

This is what I did to use ATT pay and Go. Went to an ATT store and puchased a SIM card with $25 on it. I chose $25 because it does not expire after 30 days while lower amount will expire.

They asked me for the imei of the phone I was going to use it in. I told them I had an unlocked phone at home and wanted them to activate the SIM for me. They had no trouble with this request plugged it in and used it for four months while I was waiting for an unlock.

There is absolutely no problem with using ATT PAY AND GO on an iphone unless the phone is locked to a foreign carrier in which case you will have to unlock it first. I never used data only voice because the data plan is very expensive on pay and go.

If you try to activate the SIM with the imei of your iphone on line it will not work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.