Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacProGlenn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2010
I just installed an ATI 5770 in a 2008 8-core MacPro and was expecting at least some speed improvement over my existing 2600XT. I had read online that Aperture 3 used OpenCL, which is supposed to supported by the 5770.

When I didn't see much improvement, I started up atMonitor to see if I can see any GPU% activity. Nothing. Flatline. Does anyone know if atMonitor supports showing GPU activity with this card?

Thanks,
Glenn

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
I just installed an ATI 5770 in a 2008 8-core MacPro and was expecting at least some speed improvement over my existing 2600XT. I had read online that Aperture 3 used OpenCL, which is supposed to supported by the 5770.

When I didn't see much improvement, I started up atMonitor to see if I can see any GPU% activity. Nothing. Flatline. Does anyone know if atMonitor supports showing GPU activity with this card?

Thanks,
Glenn

What exactly are you testing? I think Aperture only supports OpenCL for exporting files.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Actually I read that Aperture uses OpenGL and I don't think anyone knows exactly for what.

Good info here... http://blog.robertvojta.com/2010/02/27/aperture-3-performance-vram/

One of the comments:

I have to correct my statement - I had a discussion with some Apple people and they told me that Aperture 3 doesn't utilize OpenCL. Almost everything is done via OpenGL. This leads to an answer - your card, which doesn't support OpenCL, shouldn't be the bottleneck.

MacProGlenn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2010
What exactly are you testing? I think Aperture only supports OpenCL for exporting files.

Import a few hundred RAW files using Aperture 3. Then export the versions. Lift and stamp 200 pictures. Render out a DVD using iDVD.

GPU shows 0% for all of the above. CPU, RAM and VRAM all climb up. I'm wondering if atMonitor just doesn't support the 5770?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.