Using ATT Sim without Triggering Data Plan Cost

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JA3, May 28, 2009.

1. JA3 macrumors newbie

I admit I'm a new (uninformed) iPhone owner. I paid full price at an Apple store for a 3G, 16Gb phone without getting it activated. I already have an ATT sim/account for an earlier phone (not iPhone) without any data plan. I just had the iPhone unlocked/jail-broke so that i will be able to use it in Asia with Asian sim cards. Now my question is: if I put my ATT sim card in my new iPhone now, will it trigger a monthly data plan charge to my account?????:eek:

2. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

Yes, When AT&T 'sweeps' the account and sees an iPhone on it and no iPhone data plan they will automatically add the plan. There are a couple threads about it here and AT&T/Cingular made the announcement awhile back.

They 'sweep' the accounts every 2-3 hours it seems, I'm sure I'm not using the correct term but the AT&T/Cingular system will update its records as to what phone is on the acct. I can see mine change from an iPhone to a Palm by mid Morning when I phone swap @ work.

3. ZhenyaF macrumors 6502

My girlfriend has a regular AT&T sim card in her 3G iphone and there are no data charges. I jailbroke it, and turned off edge/3g. Even though At&T website shows 3G as active on her line, they have not added a data plan, so I would say that you are safe to jailbreak and use your AT&T sim.

4. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

They will add the data plan eventually. Usually it takes months though.

5. ZhenyaF macrumors 6502

Its been since December 2008...and if I'm not mistaken there is even an option to remove the iphone data plan from one of the features