Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JA3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2009
I admit I'm a new (uninformed) iPhone owner. I paid full price at an Apple store for a 3G, 16Gb phone without getting it activated. I already have an ATT sim/account for an earlier phone (not iPhone) without any data plan. I just had the iPhone unlocked/jail-broke so that i will be able to use it in Asia with Asian sim cards. Now my question is: if I put my ATT sim card in my new iPhone now, will it trigger a monthly data plan charge to my account?????:eek:

Flhusky

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Florida
Yes, When AT&T 'sweeps' the account and sees an iPhone on it and no iPhone data plan they will automatically add the plan. There are a couple threads about it here and AT&T/Cingular made the announcement awhile back.

They 'sweep' the accounts every 2-3 hours it seems, I'm sure I'm not using the correct term but the AT&T/Cingular system will update its records as to what phone is on the acct. I can see mine change from an iPhone to a Palm by mid Morning when I phone swap @ work.

ZhenyaF

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
My girlfriend has a regular AT&T sim card in her 3G iphone and there are no data charges. I jailbroke it, and turned off edge/3g. Even though At&T website shows 3G as active on her line, they have not added a data plan, so I would say that you are safe to jailbreak and use your AT&T sim.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
I admit I'm a new (uninformed) iPhone owner. I paid full price at an Apple store for a 3G, 16Gb phone without getting it activated. I already have an ATT sim/account for an earlier phone (not iPhone) without any data plan. I just had the iPhone unlocked/jail-broke so that i will be able to use it in Asia with Asian sim cards. Now my question is: if I put my ATT sim card in my new iPhone now, will it trigger a monthly data plan charge to my account?????:eek:
They will add the data plan eventually. Usually it takes months though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.