Using ATV3 to stream music while tv is switched off.

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by AndYetNot, Feb 1, 2014.

1. AndYetNot macrumors newbie

Hi. I keep my stereo under my tv and as such am hoping to save buying an apple express on top of my apple tv. I have an ATV3 which is cabled directly to my plus net Technicolor 582n router which in turn is mains ethernet adapter connected to my iMac (2011) upstairs. I have been assured by Apple directly that the most recent ATV will stream music, similar to how the express operates, by using a the digital optical connector. Heres the catch; my stereo does NOT have this connector so i am using a digital optical male to 3.5mm audio cable in order to compensate for that. It doesn't work, is there an easy fix i am missing? A different alternative cable? Or do i need to bite the bullet and get a Express?

2. priitv8 macrumors 68020

What kind of cable are you using?
    Does your stereo have a digital input for audio?
    If it doesn't then you will need a DAC to get analog audio out of AppleTV's digital signal.

3. AndYetNot thread starter macrumors newbie

4. robabroad macrumors newbie

I think your friend is correct. You're going to need something to convert the digital optical signal from the AppleTV to analog(ue).

http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c...d=1042302&p_id=6884&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

There are a bunch on Amazon's US site. So, I'd bet you can fine what you need there.

And, the cable you need should look something like this.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c...d=1022901&p_id=3395&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

In words, it will have the squarish connector on both ends.

I can't vouch for the quality of these devices, but they should accomplish what you want.

Regards.

5. AndYetNot thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Those are what I was going to buy originally and then saw this, shouldn't have tried to scrimp on the fix cost. I feel quite the fool. Take care, J

6. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Despite the looks of the 3.5mm connector, this cable is an optical digital cable, end to end. So no copper at all, just fiber.
    As robabroad posted below, you need a digital-to-analog converter (DAC) inbetween optical and analog RCA connections.