Using AU iphone in USA

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by venusian, Aug 14, 2008.

1. venusian macrumors member

Hey, Im headed to the USA soon, and I was planning on using my iphone. Data roaming is hella expensive, so i was thinking of getting a sim in the usa. Im in australia so it's no drama to unlock, but is it hard to get a sim in the usa (like do you need to be a resident)?

2. aphexii macrumors 6502

If you want to use your iPhone, your best bet is to get a prepaid SIM from AT&T. Ironically enough, its cheaper to buy a pre-paid phone with the SIM already included than a SIM card on its own :)

Walmart & Best Buy sell a Motorola C168i AT&T GoPhone (Pre-Paid) for between $14-$20 that includes an AT&T sim and $20-$30 in airtime.

Now, that being said, I dunno if AT&T offers Data Service with their GoPhone plans. Hope someone else might be able to chime in with that info.

3. haddman macrumors regular

If you iPhone is unlocked, than your best bet would to buy a prepaid sim or gophone from AT&T.

4. venusian thread starter macrumors member

Great thanks, do I need to have a social security number or anything like that?

5. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

6. aneftp macrumors 68040

No. You do not need a SSN.

Get a Go Phone from ATT. It is prepaid. Best of all it seems like any ATT sim (prepaid or post paid) works in an iPhone 3g once it's activated.

If you are staying for a while, you can even add a 30 day option of unlimited medianet for $20 to the prepaid phone account.