Using Australia Officially unlocked Iphone in the US?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by keithano, Sep 22, 2008.

1. keithano macrumors member

Hi there, I have a little sister studying in Australia, I am thinking to ask her to help me buying a officially unlocked iphone 3g 16gb from Optus. I'd like to know is there any downside doing so? What should I beware?

I don't wanna jailbreak the iphone, but I would love to have one. Do the Apple store in the USA will cover the warrenty (suppose to be global warrenty?)? Also, anyone have the experience to upgrade the firmware through a US Itunes account on these officially unlocked Iphone?

Thanks

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

First, unless you plan to travel a lot, it is kind of pointless, since you cannot use the iPhone 3G on T-Mo USA's 3G Network.
    Second, iPhones may only be serviced in their country of origin.
    Thirdly, Why?

TEG

3. keithano thread starter macrumors member

I do travel back and forth between Australia, United States and Macao.

So that means only the Apple store Australia will cover the warrenty?

Third? Coz AT&T in USA has weak signals (at least in my area..), and I would like to own the Iphone 3G for navi purpose and many other purposes..

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Yes, only Apple in Australia will cover the phone. Only laptops have the world-wide coverage. The reason for the discrepancy is because of the locking, or lack there of, in each country.

TEG

5. keithano thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, you are actually living not too far from me :p
    So you own an Iphone /w AT&T? Argh... I am just debating what's the best way to own an Iphone 3G. Switching from T-mo to AT&T is one way, but in that case, my Iphone 3G can't be used in Australia and Macao (with local sim cards.. no way I am paying roaming.. I have local cell accounts over there).

Another way is to buy a Iphone 3G, pay the early termination fee, jailbreak it.. right? But well.. I just not a friend of jailbreaking or any "illegal" hacks..

6. 11800506 macrumors 65816

All jailbreaking does is allow you to run unauthorized applications on your iPhone - you're thinking of unlocking the iPhone. Right now there isn't a software hack available to unlock the iPhone 3G, at least yet.

7. keithano thread starter macrumors member

My bad, and thanks for the clarification. Feel dumb.. :D
    I've done quite a bit of research, and finally landing on this forum and asking.

As far as I know, people are using TurboSim for unlock.. any drawback or what? Thanks

8. tcmacintosh macrumors regular

Optus have discontinued the pay as you go iphone option now. So the only way to unlock it is to sign up to a plan with optus, get it unlocked then cancel your plan by paying out the remaining months of the contract. Which is a bitch to do and quite expensive

9. keithano thread starter macrumors member

O..Darn. How about Telstra? I've heard that their unlock fee is more expensive than Optus.. but do they still carry this option?

10. tcmacintosh macrumors regular

Telstra's is $950 for the 16gb and $150 unlocking fee compared to optus's $850 and $80 unlocking fee.

I'm almost certain that telstra has discontinued selling them outright now aswell. Apple must have told them they don't want them doing it anymore or something, i'm not entirely shore.

11. gikku macrumors regular

gikku

sign up to an Optus 24mth A$19 plan with A$25 handset payments, ~US$38/mth, unlock free. :)

(may need to dodgy up the minor details to get past the credit check; aussie job, driver licence, residency,...)