Using automator/problems building a workflow

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kaiser71, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Kaiser71 macrumors newbie

I have been using a macbook for about a year now and decided today that I would experiment with automator. After doing some basic research on this forum I was redirected to an instructional page with an accompanying help video. The subject was building workflows and the specific example used was for collecting, re-sizing, and emailing photos. I thought that this was just about the most handy thing I had ever seen so I gave it a try but am having little success.

Here is what I did (with the help of the video):

-opened automator and selected workflow
    -dragged the selected items to the work window (exactly as described in the video)
    -saved my workflow as an application and dropped the icon into my dock
    -clicked on the icon to open my new workflow/application

this is where I started encountering problems. When I click on the icon it automatically opens my mail. I thought that it would first open a pane/browser allowing me to choose what photos I would like to email, but it does not. I went back and re-built the work flow and tested it and I am getting warnings that there are no pics coppied to the selected folder and therefore no pics scaled to size. This makes sense to me because I wasn't given the opportunity to select anything. My question is should I be automatically be given the ability to browse my pics and select items and if so how can I make this happen. Thanks.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Are you using Ask for Finder Items as the first item in the workflow?

3. Kaiser71 thread starter macrumors newbie

No. That may solve my problem. I am going to give it a try. Thanks. I'll let u know how I make out. Thanks again

4. Kaiser71 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, now I am almost there. The browser is opening allowing me to select the file/picture I want but I can only select one pic, even if I check the box that says "allow multiple selection". Any suggestions to fix this so I can select and email more than one pic at a time?

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It is working for me, please post each step you have in the workflow.

6. Kaiser71 thread starter macrumors newbie

-ask for finder items (allow multiple selection checked)
    -copy finder items
    -scale images
    -new mail message

this is what I have now, as soon as I click "choose" for the file I have selected it auotmatically goes through the rest of the process and opens the mail window with the picture attached. Thanks a lot for helping me with this by the way, I am not much of a computer guy.

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I set it up the same, and it worked fine.

Attached Files:

8. Kaiser71 thread starter macrumors newbie

are you able to select more than one picture? if so how, I don't seem to be able to figure that out.

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yep, I selected 3.

10. Kaiser71 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, thanks. I am obviously still doing something wrong on my end.... I will try again, maybe it is finger problems. Thanks so much for all your help though. I am a lot further ahead than I was. Wish I could return the favor but somehow I think that you probably won't need any help from me. LOL. Thanks again. Cheers.

11. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Are you holding CMD when you click on the files?

12. Kaiser71 thread starter macrumors newbie

don't know what CMD is. So I am not sure. Can you explain?

Command? I know this probably a stupid question, but as I said before not much of a computer guy.

Right. Command, got it now. Thanks.....Again! Sometimes a little (or very little) knowledge is a dangerous thing. This is great though. I really appreciate it.

13. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I take it that holding command (sorry) worked?