Using BitPim and LG Phones

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by monke, Nov 7, 2007.

1. monke macrumors 65816

monke

Yet another cellphone thread posted by yours truly, but if LG could put software onto their stinkin' phones so that it would sync, there would be no need.

Here goes:
    I've heard of this program called BitPim that lets you connect your phone to your Mac and sync, blah blah blah...

The phone I'm looking at is the LG TU720 Shine. I just noticed that BitPim only works with CDMA phones. Does this mean that the LG TU720 Shine won't sync, since its GSM?

Here's my questions:
    1) Will the LG TU720 Shine sync with Mac OS X 10.4 (or even 10.5)?
    2) If not, can I use BitPim to sync it with iCal and Address Book?
    3) If neither of the two above, is there any other way to sync it with iCal and Address Book?

Thanks for your help, once again.
    Stinkin' Technology. ;)

2. monke thread starter macrumors 65816

monke

Just remembered about this thread, does anybody know? :eek:

3. dglenn macrumors newbie

I have the same issue!

Have you found an answer?
    I have the same issue. I'd like to sync my LG TU720 with Address Book &
    iCal. I'm running Mac OS X 10.4.10.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Frustrated!

4. Mr. Fixit macrumors newbie

My experience- hope it helps.

I've got a Voyager, (Verizon) an IMac w/OS X 10.5.3 and Bitpim. Couldn't get the sync cable which came with the phone to work for lack of a MAC driver, so I tried BlueTooth and whadoyaknow, it worked.
    The MAC ICalendar however, won't import into BitPim unless you do it one single event at a time. It won't accept the folder with the events in it, only the events (.ics files) themselves.
    The BlueTooth does work very well to download and upload, so I would assume it would with any BT phone.
    Images and videos are not supported on my particular phone, but it's got a removable memory mini SD, so it's not an issue.
    This is interesting, however: the BT can provide internet connectivity to the IMac from the phone's data connection. Didn't expect that. Don't know what it may be doing to my bill, either.
    Sorry to ramble, but good luck with your somewhat unrelated problem!:eek:

5. geraldcor macrumors newbie

Mr. Fixit,

How did you get bitpim working with bluetooth? Did it just work?

Also, how did you get the data to share with your iMac? I tried to do this and even went as far as editing the programing menu and can't get it to work. Things are just not going well for me and my LG. I have the Voyager as well.

Greg

6. Mr. Fixit macrumors newbie

How I did it . . no surprises or secrets.

Greg,

I'm sorry to report there was nothing out of the ordinary in my approach. I paired the phone with the computer, which was completed in the normal way.

Then in BitPim I gave it the info you'd expect, and it found the phone.

The port config it came up with is: /dev/cu.LGVX10000-BTDIAG-1

The only downside is that it's pretty crippled, in that the functions are somewhat limited, but at least it recognizes, and without any cables to fool with.

Good luck with your future attempts!! Sorry I don't have anything special to tell you.

Dave

7. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Not sure about LG's but I've gotten bitpim to work with nearly all my Nokias via BT if enabled. Verizon's the carrier so you know why I'd need bitpim - stupid crippled phones.

Just got a Samsung Gleam and no such luck. Recognizes and dies when trying to transfer anything. Looking further, no drivers for bitpim and the default didn't work as hoped.

Hope you get your LG working.

8. Mr. Fixit macrumors newbie

Additional questions . . .

Greg,

I see you asked about data shared from the computer to BitPim. That, unfortunately, hasn't proven easy.

BitPim wants a .csv file for the address import. I can't figure out how to do that with the Mac Address Book folder. I'm convinced there's a way, but I haven't worked on it yet.

The Calendar is importable but only event by event, not as a complete file of events. I'm probably doing it the hard way, which is my approach on most things.

The only thing it does in a straightforward manner is write to and from the phone. Integrating Mac files into the process is a bit of a hassle at best.

Having put all my calendar events into the phone one at a time, I've decided it isn't worth the hassle keeping it up to date that way. It can be done, but it's too many steps to be worth it, at least until I find a better way to automate the process a lot more.

On the bright side, however, you should at least get the phone & the computer to talk, so that's something accomplished.

Dave

9. MacTek macrumors newbie