Using Boot Camp on a pre-partitioned HD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ddeadserious, Nov 6, 2008.

1. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

I've got an original Macbook Pro with a 100GB HD(the largest they offered with 7200RPM speed at time of purchase).

I ordered a 320GB 7200RPM Seagate the other day.

I plan to use SuperDuper to clone my current HD onto the new one.

I also want to set aside two 20GB partitions, one for Windows XP, and one for Ubuntu.

So I'll be doing all this partitioning externally first, and then clone my current HD into the free space on the HD, and pop it into my computer.

So when it boots and I go into Boot Camp, will it want to repartition and junk, or will it see my empty 20GB partitions and let me install to one of them?

Also, does Boot Camp support Ubuntu, or do I just pop the Ubuntu CD in and tell it to install to one of those 20GB partitions?

2. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

I imagine I could just clone my HD to the new one, and then partition it via boot camp? I suppose it'd have the same effect right?

3. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

it should work just fine. when you want to install windows and ubuntu just boot from the cd and install like you would on any other system. keep in mind that os x can't write to ntfs so make sure it is fat32 if you ever want to make changes to the files from leopard.