Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

odedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
Hi,

Sorry if this was already posted, but I was wondering if i can use boot camp's XP partition as the image for parallels' virtual machine. I know that VMWare allows you to use an existing partition as the boot device, but i couldn't find a similar option in parallels (beta 4). the 80 gigs on my MBP are already getting to their final free gigabytes.

Thanks!

Oded S.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
odedia said:
Hi,

Sorry if this was already posted, but I was wondering if i can use boot camp's XP partition as the image for parallels' virtual machine. I know that VMWare allows you to use an existing partition as the boot device, but i couldn't find a similar option in parallels (beta 4). the 80 gigs on my MBP are already getting to their final free gigabytes.

Thanks!

Oded S.

Nope. Plus you would have the problem of Windows detecting and undetecting drivers (possibly leading to conflicts and sytem instability) everytime you went from Parralles to Dual Boot.... So it wouldnt work

vamp07

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2005
I bet we get this eventually. The switching driver issue can be dealt with. If it's only the video and sound drivers that need switching windows can handle those just fine between reboots.

odedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
vamp07 said:
I bet we get this eventually. The switching driver issue can be dealt with. If it's only the video and sound drivers that need switching windows can handle those just fine between reboots.

Yeah, i'm pretty sure of it too. If not through parallels, definetly through VMWare. I was using this option happily when I was trying out OS X on my old PC, through dual boot and through vmware using the same partition.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
odedia said:
Yeah, i'm pretty sure of it too. If not through parallels, definetly through VMWare. I was using this option happily when I was trying out OS X on my old PC, through dual boot and through vmware using the same partition.

But OSX was probably able to handle switching drivers etc much better than Windows in its current (still harking back to DOS & Win95) state....

Vista will probably handle it ok, though the amount of sacrafices they've already made to vista to speed up its development, I have a nagging feeling were just gonna end up with a prettier XP but with still some dll's and exe's from back in the day lurking around..:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.