Using Bootcamp on 2015 27" iMac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by KustomRooR, Dec 9, 2015.

1. KustomRooR macrumors newbie

KustomRooR

Hey guys, i've tried reading up a bit and even watching some videos on this before I go ahead and try for myself. But I really just like to be 100% sure and get definite answers.

Anyways...

I recently purchased a 27" late 2015 iMac. I want to be able to dual boot for some light gaming purposes and because my CAD program is for windows.

So from what i understand is that because I possess a windows 7 install key, I am able to download a free Windows 10 iso and use my key with that to dual boot? Charge free?
    I really just want to use Steam on windows, I can deal with not having CAD on this iMac.
    I am sure this question is super redundant, I just always second guess my findings and would like to be re-assured!

Thanks!

2. macanoman macrumors newbie

From my own experience as a CAD developer and user on both Windows and Mac, I recommend you to stay with Mac OS and leave Windows for non-Apple devices. Why?

1. You can find a good and cheap (maybe even free) native 64-bit CAD for Mac OS X (I also developed one, but I don't want to advertise myself here)
    2. If you use macbook then you can work 3-4 times longer on Mac OS (I have a MacBook Air and running 12 hours on OS X compared to 3 hours (even less) on Windows.
    3. You don't have to bother with bootcamp and switching all the time from one OS to another (big waste of time)

3. Gogol macrumors member

I have done that. Download the Windows 10 iso and install with BCA, but you need the exact same version as your windows 7. Then you can use your windows 7 key to activate windows 10.
    I had a problem where I could not activate when I downloaded the "N version" of windows10.
    I even have Parallels Desktop 11 where I can access the bootcamp partition from OSX. Just needed a second windows 10 key to do that. :(