Using Bootcamp on MBP

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Hankcah, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Hankcah macrumors regular

I tried searching for the such, but nothing seemed the same...

PC (laptop) for work with work software and files galore.
    I dont want to start from scratch on Bootcamp, since I have to jump through hoops. Anyway...

Want to install an IDENTICAL image of my PC laptop onto partition on MBP via Bootcamp.

In other words, what do u recommend I use to create an Image of my xp with all my software, to install on my bootcamp on my mac, without buying a ton of stuff, and to have all of my software work.

I've read a few articles about WinClone, but I dont have Win on they Mac YET. So it seems reverse of what I want.

Thanks.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The only easy way to achieve the goal you want is to migrate to a VM (using tools provided by Parallels or VMWare). From there you could try V2P, but that is a lot trickier and doesn't always work.

NOTE: You have to retire the PC completely for this to work too.

B

3. coocooforcocoap macrumors regular

coocooforcocoap

Winclone might work. I've used an image for two years that way on several macs. But I am not sure if the winclone image came from a bootcamp partition originally, or another machine's hardrive. I seem to remember having to install bootcamp drivers onto the partition after first boot to get all the mac hardware to work right, so I suspect it did come from another box. Sounds like a fun weekend project!

4. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

If you take an XP image of a PC laptop and apply that image to a Mac it will not start up, you will just get a hardware failure blue screen. This is actually the case if you move XP to any hardware that is different from where it was installed.