Using Bootcamp safely?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ifritwins, Aug 21, 2012.

1. ifritwins macrumors newbie

The last time I used Bootcamp to make a Windows 7 partition, the recovery partition mysteriously disappeared, causing all sorts of problems that eventually brought me to a computer repair shop to fix the problem. (Believe me, I tried EVERYTHING, and scoured every Mac forum, no solution.)
    Well, I need to use Windows 7 again. What do I need to do to make sure this doesn't happen again? I have an external harddrive that's ready to use. Also, stupid question, but could I make the Windows Partition on the external drive?
    Thanks!

2. kjid macrumors regular

You can put the operating system on any harddisk, including your external one. However, it would be slow if your external is an USB device.

Installing bootcamp shouldn't be too much hastle, it shouldn't remove your recovery partition..

You go trough the bootcamp assistant installer in OSX, then boot with the windows disk and select the bootcamp partition OSX created. Then format that partition so that windows can install on it (NTSF).

Hope this helps.

3. kurayami88 macrumors newbie

perhaps during the selection of the partition to install windows, you accidentally formatted/overwritten the recovery partition too.... that is highly plausible as i don't think there is a "DO NOT TOUCH THIS PARTITION, use THIS 1 only... *points*" noob protection feature using bootcamp...