Using bootcamp with game installed on external harddrive?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by thurston, May 16, 2008.

1. thurston macrumors newbie

Hi
    New to the forum. My question is this:
    Would i be able to use bootcamp as Windows XP on macbook pro to play Age of Conan if the is game installed on external harddrive?

Sounds strange, ill try to rephrase. my english is not too good:confused:

Would it be possible to install the game on the external harddrive and play it through bootcamp?

The thing is, i'd like to play age of conan, but my Desktop is too slow. So im thinking about using bootcamp, even though i havent tried it before, and play age of conan like that.

BTW is it possible to upgrade to 4gb ram on macbookpro? i have 2gb right now.. and if so, what model of ram should i be looking for? im very lost on this matter

Greetings from Denmark

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

for newer games this is works. i play GTA San Andreas, NHL 07 & Tiger Woods 07 (yes i know i need to upgrade :eek:) on a firewire 400 external drive with an NTFS partition.

the EA sports games sometimes freeze but i think this has to do with the quality of EA's games as San Andreas seems to play pretty well.

i would suggest doing this with a Firewire drive as all round its a faster than USB and is not processor specific. of course eSATA would be the best but your would then need to buy an eSATA compatible external hard drive and an eSATA express card for your MBP.

for MacBook Pro RAM get 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM. i recommend OWC ram from macsales.com. they are very good and get good reviews around here.

3. thurston thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok Thanks for your reply.
    would this work as external firewire harddrive?
    http://www.edbpriser.dk/Products/Listprices.asp?ID=381116&searchArea=products&Soegeord=firewire

Thanks for the website about rams. Ive found something like that, but only in denmark :
    http://www.komplett.dk/k/ki.aspx?sku=344192

I just want to play Age of Conan on my Macbook pro without installing it on it, but on an external harddrive, because i dont have much space left on it.

So do you reboot in Windows, install the game on the external harddive, and then play?

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

that external has a 2.5" 5400rpm notebook hard drive and is USB. i would recommend a 3.5" 7200rpm desktop firewire hard drive as thats what ive got and it works fine. but it will probably work fine its just have no experience with it. however the good thing about 2.5" external drives is they are BUS powered and so have no power brick :).

that RAM looks fine however check they arent just a reseller of the Denmark Apple Store as Apple RAM is too expensive. its Corsair so its probably not Apple RAM.

if the Game installer support installing to another directory then it will allow you to install it on your external drive.