Using BootCamp without disc.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hippoassassin, Sep 19, 2009.

1. hippoassassin macrumors newbie

The disc drive on my macbook pro is broken (my sister dropped it and it's cracked, i can't put discs in) i have a external, but you can't run bootable discs on it apparently. I have parallels, but i want to play 3-d games and they can't run on it. Any help would be apriciated

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Why can't you run bootable discs on your external optical drive? It should work.

3. hippoassassin thread starter macrumors newbie

Well when i try, i partition the hard drive, and it says put the vista cd in then restart, and when i do (restart) the internal (broken) disc drive makes a sound, then it waits a minute and goes to the normal tiger starting screen.

Is their a way i can make my external disc drive the main one the computer looks for?

4. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Hold down the option/alt button when you hear the boot chime...

Hopefully you should see a boot menu with Mac OSX under a hard disk logo and Windows under a cd logo.

EDIT you're running Tiger? I would strongly suggest upgrading to at least Leopard.

5. hippoassassin thread starter macrumors newbie

I miss-typed, i'm running 10.5.7 normal leopard i believe.

I believe i already tried option and it didn't work. Is there any way to completely de-activate my internal disc drive, making the external the one it looks for?

6. hippoassassin thread starter macrumors newbie

Or is there a way that i wouldn't need a disc.