Using Both iPod Touch and Classic?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by riverfarm, Oct 4, 2008.

1. riverfarm macrumors newbie

I just got a 2G 8GB iPod Touch as a gift. I already own a 30 GB Classic, which I received in October of 2006, and I love it. By now I have several accessories, including a speaker/charger and a Kensington FM transmitter for my car. I am wondering if they will be compatible with the Touch.

Also, can I continue to use both devices and still sync them in iTunes without corrupting that application?

And can the Mail option on the Touch be used to respond to email or just to read it?

Thanks!

2. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

Most (but not all) of my accessories for my ipod classic seem to work with my iphone (even though I sometimes get a message saying that they won't). The 2.1 update has stopped a few things charging the phone including my old 3G ipod dock - don't know if this would be the same for an ipod touch.

I sync two ipods and my iphone from itunes - so you shouldn't have any probs there.

Mail on touch can be used to respond to emails as long as you have a wifi connection (obviously).

3. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

i have a iPod Touch 1g and it works fine with my bose dock, ihome dock, and other accessories ive had since my 1st gen nano

4. riverfarm thread starter macrumors newbie

That's very reassuring. Thanks! :) I wasn't sure whether to keep it because I didn't want to have to give up my Classic.

5. riverfarm thread starter macrumors newbie

So far, the only thing that works with both my Classic and my Touch is the USB charge/sync cable that came with my Classic. The Kensington Digital FM Transmitter/Car Charger for iPod fits but I get a message that "this device cannot charge your iPod," or something of the sort. The same thing happens with the speakers/charger that I use for the classic. That's frustrating! I wonder - if I buy a new FM transmitter for my car which fits the Touch, will that work for the Classic?

6. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

It should work with the Classic too, yes.

For a while we've had the possibility to charge iPods through either USB or Firewire. Apple has warned manufacturers of peripherals for a good while now that the Firewire option was to be removed and now it is gone. This is most likely what's causing your incompatibilities.

Due to voltage differences, providing power over the deprecated Firewire pins is much easier/cheaper in a car than providing USB charging, so many newer peripherals still use FW anyway.