Using both Lightroom and iPhoto - how do you do it?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by OrangeCuse44, Jun 1, 2010.

1. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

I'm really struggling with creating a decent workflow between both programs and was wondering if anyone uses both in harmony? I like LR because on the nondestructive editing & presets mostly. I like iPhoto because of the clean organization and ability to easily sync to my iDevices. I can't afford/don't want to save 2 copies of every photo (1 in LR 1 in iPhoto). Does anyone use both programs in an efficient manner or should I just ditch LR and hop onto the Aperture 3 bandwagon for better integration?

2. sananda macrumors 68020

I use both.

I edit RAW files in Lightroom and then create JPEGS which I put into iPhoto. That way those JPEGS can be on my iPhone, sent to my MobileMe Gallery, Facebook and Flickr.

I do end up with two of each JPEG though (one in the iPhoto library and one someplace in the Pictures folder).

3. Razeus macrumors 603

When I had a Mac, iPhoto was for my P&S shots.

LR for was for my DSLR work.

different programs for 2 different types of photos.

4. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

I tried using both for a while, but ultimately decided that it wasn't important enough for me to use iPhoto at all. I don't sync to any iExternal peripheral devices and LR has plugins to export to Smugmug.

5. skybolt macrumors 6502a

In iPhoto preferences, set Lightroom as your external editor. Then when you select a photo to edit from iPhoto, Lightroom will open, you can edit, and when you save it, it will be saved right back in the iPhoto library where it belongs.

6. OrangeCuse44 thread starter macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

How does that work with RAW editing and non-destructive editing since I never actually "save" anything in LR, just export it to JPG when I need to upload to Flickr etc.

7. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

Can you not use Lightroom primarily, and then when you want certain pictures, export them to the screen size of your device, that way you have a copy in iPhoto that will go onto your devices and not take up much hard drive space?

8. Mr Ski 73 macrumors regular

I do exactly the same only using Capture One instead of Lightroom

9. OrangeCuse44 thread starter macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

I found an excellent workaround and is exactly how I'd want to handle my photos but as the poster mentioned, it has somehow been disabled. Can anyone think of a solution?