Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kanunu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2009
Hawaii
I am considering a Magic Trackpad and currently use a Logitech USB mouse which I like and intend to keep. I have Lion loaded and in System Prefs>Mouse I have "Move content in direction of finger movement...." box unchecked as it makes more sense with a wheel mouse.

My question is: Can the trackpad be set with natural scrolling while the mouse is not? There is no access to try out the menu for the trackpad if you don't have the device in place. If I have to go into System Prefs and change this every time I change devices I probably will not buy the trackpad.

Thanks to any of you who have a similar setup and can relate firsthand experience.

Last edited:

Gordy

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2005
Bristol, UK
I am considering a Magic Trackpad and currently use a Logitech USB mouse which I like and intend to keep. I have Lion loaded and in System Prefs>Mouse I have "Move content in direction of finger movement...." box unchecked as it makes more sense with a wheel mouse.

My question is: Can the trackpad be set with natural scrolling while the mouse is not? There is no access to try out the menu for the trackpad if you don't have the device in place. If I have to go into System Prefs and change this every time I change devices I probably will not buy the trackpad.

Thanks to any of you who have a similar setup and can relate firsthand experience.

The magic track pad and mouse have different entries in the preference pane. However it appears they are linked so the natural scrolling is set in both. Maybe better touch tool can do it?

Kanunu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2009
Hawaii
Maybe better touch tool can do it?

Thanks for the info. I did not buy the touchpad as a result so you saved me some money. :)

I checked the magictouchtool website and it is rather specific that it is for Snow Leopard so I don't think it addresses the problem. I plan to check back on their page in a month or so to see if they have a Lion based upgrade.

Wattser93

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2010
That's why I ditched natural scrolling. It worked well with my trackpad but was miserable with a mouse.

The old way of tracking is fine with me, the "natural scrolling" wasn't any better, just different.

Gordy

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2005
Bristol, UK
Thanks for the info. I did not buy the touchpad as a result so you saved me some money. :)

I checked the magictouchtool website and it is rather specific that it is for Snow Leopard so I don't think it addresses the problem. I plan to check back on their page in a month or so to see if they have a Lion based upgrade.

Not a problem :)

enigma2k

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
you can easily do this with Steermouse.

I have activated Natural scrolling and in Steermouse I have set scroll wheel up = down and scroll wheel down = up.
It's a great app that I can highly recommend!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.