Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nun

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
Do you think I would be successful if I attempted to use my Student ID from a British university in an Apple store to get the Educational Discount or would I have to provide more info?

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
they're not gonna ask WHERE the university is...

i remember i walked in and told them i wanted the student discount.. the guy didn't even ask for my ID and he let me and my buddy (who's not a student) get the discount. this was the 1st day the unibodies came out. :eek:

Nun

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
they're not gonna ask WHERE the university is...

i remember i walked in and told them i wanted the student discount.. the guy didn't even ask for my ID and he let me and my buddy (who's not a student) get the discount. this was the 1st day the unibodies came out. :eek:

Do you know how much the 13" MBP's are over there with an Educational Discount?

fibrizo

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2009
Depends on the model. the base model is 1099 USD + State sales tax (0% to 8.875%) Depending on where you buy it from.

The upgraded model of 13 inch is 1399 USD + State sales tax.

Depending on where you go or which model you want, the best deal to take advantage of is to go to Microcenter (if there is one around) and purchase the base model for 999 USD + State sales tax, and no student ID is required.

Nun

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
Does anyone have any idea if I could then claim the free ipod rebate back while in the UK, given that they have a similar deal?

fibrizo

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2009
Does anyone have any idea if I could then claim the free ipod rebate back while in the UK, given that they have a similar deal?

They would most likely give you a hard time with that. Since the mail in rebate terms and conditions are very specific as to where you buy it from. In fact it works oddly in even different states in the united states. I have driven 1 hour to go to conneticuit to buy the mbp before, because they do not allow mail in rebates in that state, and they will give you an instant rebate/discount on the ipod.

Tharian

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2009
Technically the university rebate is only for students going to school in the same country as the rebate; eg U.S. schools.

Still, maybe you'll find someone who doesn't care to check.

-d

ViviUO

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2009
You need very little proof to show them you're a student. In fact the only proof you need in the online store is knowing the name of a school. I assume in-store hasn't changed in the past couple years, either.

Rebates will be a problem though for foreigners.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Your university needs to be on the list of "Educational Institutions" on their US list of schools and education programs. However, this is how it's technically supposed to work. That doesn't mean it's what the Apple Store employees will tell you. They may let you have the discount. You just need to go in and find out, and see if they let you go. ;)

mac00l

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011

You can't, they'll send you a check by mail, to an US-only address.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
The more important question is, are you going to be buying this with a credit card that has a US address? They may wonder about that and a potential education discount.

EightmanVT

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2011
I'd be you'll be fine - we still like the Brits - even though they talk a lot. Now if it's a French uni - that may not fly. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.