Using broken keyboard MBP as a New desktop. Ideas for new laptop?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RonDeGregorio, Nov 25, 2011.

1. RonDeGregorio macrumors member

RonDeGregorio

Hey all,
    Awhile back, I posted that my MBP keyboard is done, and I am not paying for a repair.

I have decided to use it as a OSX desktop and I am going out to buy a cheaper notebook pc.

I love the design of the MBP with the backlit keyboard and trackpad.
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a close competitor of the MBP?

You don't need to provide links, I will google them myself. Just looking for tips!

Thanks all!

2. RonDeGregorio thread starter macrumors member

RonDeGregorio

I was considering it, but for the money, I can get a lot better of a notebook I feel.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Not sure about the backlit keyboard bit, but I think a couple options would be the HP Envy or the Dell XPS z series.

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

If you don't care about design, I would recommend something from the Lenovo thinkpad series.

I also find the asus zenbook very attractive.

5. GTANJ macrumors member

It would help to know what kind of notebook you are looking for. Something portable? Powerful? Big or small? These are important things to know before we recommend you a laptop to buy :p

6. RonDeGregorio thread starter macrumors member

RonDeGregorio

You're right! I should have included all of that, I'm sorry!

I would like something with killer battery life. That is foremost on my mind.

I also would like something portable, around the 13-15 inch range for screen size.

Something with a backlit keyboard is a must. I will definitely need to have that feature if possible.

Other than that, I am pretty much open to suggestions. The lighter the better!

7. Nick McEnjoy macrumors member

You should monitor the Lenovo X220 and Vaio S series 13". They are both light and reliable.
    Be patient, wait for sales events. Check some "hot deals" web site.
    An i5 X220 should be $800. An i5 Vaio S 13" should be around $700.
    I personally have a 4yo X61. No complaint so far. No sign of retirement :D

8. RonDeGregorio thread starter macrumors member

RonDeGregorio

ill take a look! Thanks for the tips!

Any others?

9. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

+1 thinkpads are durable, great keyboard, highly customizable online orders, and really good warranty... may not be your idea of an attractive laptop, but should highly appeal to your inner geek.

10. RonDeGregorio thread starter macrumors member

RonDeGregorio

Took a look at the Lenovo. It looks like a nice computer, but you are right, asthetically, not the ideal, but still worth a look!

Best buy has a Toshiba laptop that looks as though it could fit my needs,
    Any ideas?
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+Satellite+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i5+Processor+/+14%22+Display+/+6GB+Memory+/+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Champagne/2805056.p?id=1218352572084&skuId=2805056

I compared it side by side with the MBP and it seemed pretty comparable, if not a little better spec wise.

Thoughts?

11. Spencer Reynen macrumors member

The HP Envy is the only good PC laptop I have seen, but that's just me. (I haven't really looked at any PC laptops cause I really don't care about them)

12. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I've never particularly liked HP computers, but lately I've noticed a lot more HP notebooks around. They look decent - they're not up to Apple in terms of build quality, but they look nice and seem to of a reasonable quality. And from what I understand, HP notebooks are quite well priced.

But I would seriously consider an 11" MBA. Yes, it's probably more expensive than a PC notebook. But if you're just looking for a notebook for basic tasks (Word, internet, email, etc.) it will handle those tasks just as well as a more powerful PC. And OSX has less annoying little issues than Windows. I think Windows 7 is a huge improvement over previous versions, but it still has weird little quirks that bug me, that I never experience with OSX. That, to me, would be worth the extra $200-300.

13. RonDeGregorio thread starter macrumors member

RonDeGregorio

I guess my max that I am willing to spend is around 5-600 maybe 700 at most. I really can't justify buying an MBA when for less money I could get a way better machine in terms of specs.

Thank you for the input though!

14. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

"Killer battery life" and "Windows PC" don't go together.

15. RonDeGregorio thread starter macrumors member

RonDeGregorio

So I've noticed.

I suppose there has to be a PC laptop with decent battery life though.

The Toshiba I am looking at claims 7.5 hours, but I doubt that.

16. altecXP macrumors 65816

I have a 15in pro 2011 with shattered LCD as my desktop and 13in Air for my laptop.

----------

Really? quite a few Acer and Asus laptops that get 8-10hrs.

The Asus UX31 I used for a while got 6hrs. I think it's rated at 6 or 7.

17. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Samsung Series 7 is the laptop that you're looking for.

You're welcome.

18. RonDeGregorio thread starter macrumors member

RonDeGregorio

19. RonDeGregorio thread starter macrumors member

RonDeGregorio

20. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Specs are a meaningless if you're talking about basic uses. Buying an i7 because it's technically faster will make no difference if you wind up using it for simple tasks.

*shrug*

For a second computer, I don't think there's a better choice than a MacBook Air. But if you just want an inexpensive, fast machine, then just find whatever has the best specs and go with it. At the end of the day, most $700 notebooks are going to be pretty similar in terms of build quality and longevity. :)

21. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Specs isn't everything. There are lots of good specs laptop there but I still wouldn't buy them. I had a very good spec VAIO 5 years ago and it last 2 years before it becomes so slow that i can't bear with it. Note that I take VERY good care of all my stuff. After that, i went to MacBook and it last me 3 years before i bought a 2011 MBP. The MacBook was still going strong when i sold it.

If i were you then i would get a MBA. It's worth to pay a little extra for an awesome machine.

22. B.LI macrumors regular

23. robvas macrumors 68030

Lenovo X220 and T420 both get great battery life, and you can add the 'slice battery' for all-day computing.