Using BT OpenZone (U.K.)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JulianL, Jul 9, 2010.

1. JulianL macrumors 65816

I have an iPhone 4 on Orange PAYG and, after a few hiccups at Orange's end, I've finally got my 12 months of OpenZone access activated on my account so I thought that I'd give it a go this afternoon but it didn't really work the way that I was hoping so I'd appreciate some advice from other users as to whether I'm just doing it wrong or if this is how it works.

I was expecting that, once I had logged onto the hotspot, that I would then have a network connection for all my apps and it would be just like being on my home WiFi. Unfortunately I didn't manage to get it working this way.

Firstly I went to my WiFi settings and selected the hotspot and it connected but nothing happened and any network apps I tried came up and said they had no network connection. That wasn't a huge surprise so I went to the browser and accessed www.google.com and, as I expected, after a brief delay the OpenZone software intercepted the page request and took me to the login screen where I then successfully logged in using my Orange credentials.

The above is fine if all I'd wanted to do was have a browsing session but I was hoping for a persistent data connection for all my apps. When I immediately quit the browser and went to the AppStore (just as a test of a networking application other than the browser) then the AppStore worked just fine but when I went off and did some other stuff (iBooks) then, when I next tried to access the network (Wikipedia accessed by the "Articles" app) the network was gone. When I then went back to the browser and tried to browse I got kicked back to the OpenZone login screen and had to login again.

So, what seems to be happening for me is that, once I leave the browser after logging in, the clock is ticking on a timeout so my data connection will only stay alive for a few minutes. Is this how it's supposed to work, i.e. OpenZone is really only useful for a concentrated browsing session and not for having a general purpose 3G-like background connection or was I missing something somewhere?

- Julian

2. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

Try the multi task feature so you keep the browser open, while you use the App store etc?

May work.

3. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

Shouldnt have to, somethings not right, i never seem to have that problem when connecting to Openzone. Just make sure you're not connecting to a Homehub as apparently they broadcast as Openzone too but are not available to iphone customers

4. JulianL thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, the browser was definitely in the quick launch area so it was multitasking, as far as that goes in the iOS world. The thought that it was a home hub that I was connected to is a good one because on the OpenZone hotspot finder there were more of those in my area than the "real" hotspots, but then again I did get presented with a login screen that included buttons to select whether I was on Orange/O2/Vodafone/etc so it looked right and I did get initial connectivity, it was just that it timed out.

I was using iCab as my browser rather than Safari though. In theory iCab has has an iOS 4 update so it should be multitasking but the other thing I could try is to initiate the login via Safari just in case.

I do suspect it's just a timeout issue though, maybe the hotspot I connected to had a very low (5 minute or so) inactivity timeout set.

- Julian