Using Caps Lock as Command

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BiggAW, Jun 15, 2011.

1. BiggAW macrumors 68020

I usually use Caps Lock as Command, by changing the settings in System Preferences. It used to however, lose the setting with ever reboot or hardware charge (keyboard, mouse, etc). I now can't even get it to take the setting reliably for my external USB 'board, it often won't take it at all. How do I get it permanently use Caps Lock as Command? I don't mind an add-on peice of software, but DoubleCommand doesn't have this functionality.

I tried posting this over at the Apple Discussions, but without much luck there. Mods, feel free to move if you think it's better in peripherals, I figured Mac OSX, since I am concerned with the software side of things.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

DoubleCommand does allow you to set that permanently.

[​IMG]

If that's not working for some reason, there might be a permissions issue. I've been using the settings above for about three years now, only had to set them again when I wiped my drive and reinstalled.

jW

3. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

I tried DoubleCommand, deleting the plist file, and both, and nothing seems to work. At least I am now able to simply re-enable the functionality in System Preferences, but that is still a poor solution.

Ugh, this is so aggravating, the settings should keep. I would just take the caps lock key off my keyboard if it weren't for the fact that I now have found a good use for it, and I've gotten used to having an ergonomically correct command key.

4. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

Now the situation is even worse- I was playing with DoubleCommand, and the keys are back to their factory assignment, with the alt key on the windows board acting as Command, so I effectively have no Command key.

5. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

I found that if I reboot with the caps lock key set to be the caps lock key, and then go in and change it to command, it works, but any other combination, and it breaks. Good thing I have an SSD to figure this out with many reboots. What on earth is wrong with my computer here?

6. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

This is weird. Also, your Windows keyboard should have a Windows key, that will, by default, act as Command instead under OS X.

I have a Windows keyboard that I use, and I've just used the built-in software to switch the Alt and Windows keys so that they're in the proper place in OS X. I don't know anything about Double Command, so I'm not sure how to get the setting to stick so the Caps Lock is set to Command. Have you tried repairing permissions?

7. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

I managed to whack a whole bunch of plist files for Microsoft and Apple Keyboard, and now I can get it to change, but I have to change it back if I unplug the keyboard or log off/ reboot.