Using car speakers as handsfree iPhone connection..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BLK MAGIC, May 9, 2009.

1. BLK MAGIC macrumors newbie

Before I got my current case, the Otterbox, I could plug my iphone into my car using the Aux cable and play music using the ipod function on the iphone. If the phone rang, and I answered it, the voice of the other person would come thru the speakers and I could just talk normally and the mic would pick me up.. essentially creating a handsfree iphone connection.

Now, with the Otterbox case, it wont work. I can hear the other people thru my car speakers, but they cant hear me. Cant imagine it has anything to do with the mic being blocked becuase they can hear me just fine if I unplug the aux cable and run on speakerphone mode with the phone.

Help!

2. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Maybe your system now thinks you have pic plugged into the iPhone. I would double check that, it might be the culprit.

3. BLK MAGIC thread starter macrumors newbie

huh?

4. JCastro macrumors 6502a

Lets see...It worked. You stuck it in an Otterbox. It didn't work. I am sure it is the Otterbox. That is the only thing that changed.

Do you think it might be a distance issue? Maybe it works while in the Otterbox if it is close enough to you? Just a thought...

5. doobi18 macrumors 6502

+1 I would say it is definitely the new case obscuring the mic.

//doobi18

6. deratka macrumors newbie

I have a similar problem. I use a tape adaptor in my car to play thru the speakers. My phone is in an innocase. Sometimes people can here my talk and sometimes they can't. My problem is not the case because I've always had it in this case. Any ideas why it works sometimes, and not works other times. I can always here people thru the speakers.

7. BLK MAGIC thread starter macrumors newbie

Clearly its the case thats the issue, but why if it works just fine (in the case) on speakerphone when not plugged into the car? The mic isnt obstructed then, and nothing is different.

8. thedude126 macrumors newbie

Does the case change the way the plug sits in the headphone jack? Maybe it is possible the iPhone thinks there is an external mic. Then again this would also cause problems with the your connection to the car's AUX input.

You said the mic works fine once you disconnect from the AUX. Are you disconnecting the cable from the iPhone or from the car? I imagine you disconnect it from the phone, so maybe try making a call with the cable plugged into the iphone and see if the mic will work.

If nothing else it could give you another clue.

9. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

honestly If we have to troubleshoot this one for you, you will never learn

as others have stated it's probably the otterbox

10. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

i connect my iphone to my car with an aux cable, but i can't hear someone when they call me?

11. bigmouth macrumors 6502

Excellent advice. Often, if I use regular headphones, my iphone microphone won't work because the phone thinks I'm using Apple headphones with the in-line mic.