Using carbon copy cloner to clone enternal hdd to internal hdd

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LSUtigers03, Apr 13, 2011.

1. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I bought a 2011 13" MBP and the hard drive from my 2007 white MacBook doesn't work so I'll have to reformat it. Before I do that I want to get my data off of it. Can I use CCC to copy from my old hard drive connected with an enclosure to the hard drive in the MBP or can you only go from the internal hard drive to an external hard drive?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Sure, you can use CCC to copy data in either direction. You can also simply drag and drop selected files and folders from the external to the internal.

3. LSUtigers03 thread starter macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Most of my data (music, movies, etc) is already backed up to my 1TB external. The data I wanted to get off the old hard drive were my apps and settings. Take iTunes for instance. I want to make sure everything gets copied correctly so that when I sync my iPad it doesn't think its a new library. I just got my enclosure in the mail so I'm going to copy over the data tonight I just wanted to be sure I could go either way. I appreciate the response.

4. safelder macrumors member

You don't need CCC for this. In fact, the easiest solution is probably Time Machine.

5. LSUtigers03 thread starter macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

My old MacBook won't turn on and my new MBP doesn't recognize the old hard drive so I don't think I can use Time Machine.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Since the OP already has a backup, they can use that. There's no need to also create a TM backup.

iTunes for Mac: Moving your iTunes Media folder

7. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Is it that it doesn't recognize it, or that it doesn't boot from it? They are two different things entirely. If it is just that it doesn't boot from it, that can be fixed with a reinstall of the OS over the existing OS version. The newer MBPs require a special kernel included on the included discs. Reinstalling over the top, will replace only the system files and leave the user and data files intact. I did it on mine without a problem.

8. LSUtigers03 thread starter macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

It may be that it doesn't boot from the old hard drive. I never thought of that. I'll try that first before I do anything.

9. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

as stated above your best bet is to install the DVD osx installer that came with your new computer. Have the old HDD in an enclosure attached through USB to the new computer. Through the utility menu that pops up with the install DVD tell it to install the operating system to the HDD that is in the enclosure. Do not erase it just install the os.

After it installs the OS do a restart on the new computer. Right after you hit restart hold down the option key until you see the screen with a grey background and an icon for your internal hard drive and your external. Holding down the option key like this gives you the chance to pick what drive you want to boot from. Simply click the up arrow that is under the external HDD and it will boot off that. Check your files and make sure that you like them and how everything is operating off the external drive.

If all is good then run Carbon Copy Cloner from the external to the internal while booted on the external.

You will then be set to go. You would not want to boot off the internal then copy the external onto it as it may want to overwrite files that you are using to operate the computer at that moment.

This is the best way to do what you are looking for.

Robert

10. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Unless the older drive is faster/ larger than the newer drive, then you may just want to follow the above steps and if it boots from it, then swap it into the MBP. Thats what I did with mine as the hard drive was a better model than the one included in my new MBP.

11. LSUtigers03 thread starter macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Thanks for all the help guys I appreciate it.