Using Carbon Copy Cloner to copy a time machine backup to another HD?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by OverSpun, Aug 4, 2011.

1. OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

I have tried a few different ways and it doesn't like this since it finishes within 1-2 seconds and that cannot be possible since it is a 230gb partition to another hard drive that I made a partition with just enough space, unless I'm doing something wrong.

thanks in advance since I'm sure its an easy thing that I keep missing. :rolleyes:

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

This isn't using Carbon Copy Cloner but this method might work for you:

Mac OS X v10.6: How to transfer your backups from your current hard drive to a new hard drive

If you upgrade to a new hard drive with a larger capacity, you may want to transfer your existing Time Machine backups to it before using it for regular backups. To keep your existing backups on your new, larger backup hard drive, follow these steps:

1. Connect your new hard drive.
    2. In Disk Utility, make sure it has a GUID partition and is formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). If needed, reformat the drive as Mac OS Extended with a GUID partition. If you do not know how, see the steps in this article. Note: Back up any data on the hard drive before you format it.
    3. Select the new drive's icon on the desktop and choose Get Info from the File menu.
    4. Make sure "Ignore ownership on this volume" is not enabled.
    5. Open Time Machine preferences in System Preferences.
    6. Slide the Time Machine switch to Off.
    7. In Finder, double-click the current backup hard drive to open its Finder window.
    8. Drag the folder "Backups.backupd" to the new hard drive.
    9. Enter an administrator user name and password, then click OK to start the copying process. This may take some time to complete because all your backups will be copied.
    10. In Time Machine System Preferences click "Select Disk…"
    11. Select your new hard drive, then click "Use for Backup."
    Now, on your new hard drive, you will have all of your existing backups from the previous backup hard drive plus have more room for more new backups.​

Source: :apple: Mac 101: Time Machine