using carbon copy cloner to create two back ups on the same drive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fullfloridiancj, May 27, 2012.

1. fullfloridiancj macrumors regular

Can I create two or 3 partitions on my 1.5 t hardrive and allow carbon copy cloner to create two back ups of two different macs?

If this must be done by using two partions on a single hardrive and the need ever arose to boot one of them up. How would I select the right partiton for rebooting ??

all advice is helpful thanks

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"Can I create two or 3 partitions on my 1.5 t hardrive and allow carbon copy cloner to create two back ups of two different macs?"

Yes. Just use one partition for one backup, second partition for second backup, etc.
    I do this all the time.

"If this must be done by using two partions on a single hardrive and the need ever arose to boot one of them up. How would I select the right partiton for rebooting ??"

1. Have backup drive connected, powered up
    2. Reboot
    3. As soon as you hear the startup sound, hold down the option key and KEEP HOLDING IT DOWN
    4. In a few moments the startup manager will appear
    5. You will see what to do next.
    (Note -- selecting a boot source via the startup manager DOES NOT CHANGE the selection you made in the "Startup Disk" preference pane. The next time you reboot, the Mac will boot from that choice).

3. fullfloridiancj thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info

I tried to create a 8 partition hardrive from my 1.5 seagate drive. I wanted the other partitions so at a later date I could use CCC to make another replica of a drive. Unfortunately I don't think there is anyway to rename or distribute gigabytes to a partition once it is created.

I guess I should create one partition for my CCC in mac os extended journal format for a reboot and the other in fat 32 so that I can use ut for regular data storage

4. fullfloridiancj thread starter macrumors regular

CCC has displayed a warning telling me that the hardrive is not in the correct format However it is in mac journal and the hardrive has HFS plus volume

5. fullfloridiancj thread starter macrumors regular

ccc says

you may have difficulty booting from this destination volume the underlying disc is not partitioning scheme that apple recommends for intel macs

what does this mean

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

It's probably formatted in the Master Boot Record partition map scheme. In order for it to be bootable on an Intel Mac, you'll need to wipe it and repartition using the GUID Partition Map scheme instead. Unfortunately, this does require that you completely wipe the drive first. Hopefully, since it's for backups, there's nothing on there that will prevent you from doing that, if you need a bootable backup.

jW

7. sim667 macrumors 65816

Can you not set the two partitions up as a raid 1? Im sure you can.

If your doing this to have 2 back ups, then your defeating the purpose as if the drive dies you will still lose both partitions anyway.